Printing from windows

Reaction score
More printing problems

Hi :eek:
I was wondering if some kind soul can advise me what may be wrong with my printer setup especially in windows xp.
Before I bought my mac I had no provlems printing from my HP Laserjet 1320. I attached the printer to the mac side, no problems printing there.
Then I needed to print out some letters from the windows side and the printing is not much short of a Dot matrix finish. I have the printers shared on a network, installed the software for the laser on the windows side and still no luck. I need to drop my files onto the mac side to print anything from windows. This is not desirable, and not what I bought my mac for.
I also note when in windows, printers & fax windows that the printer showing up is HP Color laserjet 8550-PS, this has come about when I went into Parallels, as I did not manually install this. The printer on the mac side is
HP Laserjet 1320 series directly attached via USB. I am at my wits end with this, and at a loss what to do.
Help would be much appreciated.
Ta
Nod: :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Re: More printing problems

Hi and thankyou heaps for your reply.

I uninstalled the printer as you asked, and downloaded the driver, realising afterwards that I had the driver on the CD. It installed okay, and I set it up as a local printer HP Laserjet 1320 PCL 6., initially.
That was fine, 'but' I could not get it to print anything.

So I then went into the printer/fax setup again, right clicked the laser printer icon and set it up to as a network printer? with the hand underneath it -shared.

This is the bit I am struggling with, as I said previous I am using Parallels and am wondering if I did it right.

I managed to get the older driver to print out with the laser only when I had changed it to the shared printer option. When the printer was a local connection I could not get the printer to print out anything then either. But after sharing I managed it, but the printout was terrible, leaving me to believe the driver was the problem.
Any clues what I should do now. Hope this is not too confusing.

Thanks again
Gwen :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Guess what Printing again!

Well my last post was not answered so I thought I would give it another try:eek:

I have a HP Laserhet 1320 which works fine on the Mac side. Driver used is for 1320. I also have a Photosmart 8230 which also works on Mac.

It is set up on the windows side for a 1320 also. However I cannot get 'either' my Photosmart 8230 or my Mono Laserjet to print. I have ther print icons eith the hand underneath -shared? I have manually installed the driver for the 1320 as for the 8230.

I note when the driver 'generic' HP color Laserjet 8500 PS supplied by Apple is installed as a new printer it will print from the Laserjet? No mention of a driver for a Mono laser.
The Print Out is Terrible, very much like printing on a Dot Matrix.....
Not very acceptable as it is fine on the mac side.
I also note, when I have both Windows open and Mac and try to print from the Mac side it will not print until I quit Windows. Strange I thought sharing should mean I could have either operating system open at gthe same time.

Ummmmm.... I am getting very frustrated with this as I have to dump the files to be printed onto the mac side and print from there. Not what I bought this machine for at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ta
Gwen
:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
What is "the windows side"? Bootcamp, Parallels, VMware? You also didn't mention your Windows operating system version. I wouldn't be surprised if it "just doesn't work". Printing can be a "dark art" on both Windows and OSX without operating system emulation.

OP
N
Reaction score
Re: Printing problems

Hi
I did not explain myself well enough I think.
I am using OS X 10.4.10 on a intel Mac.
I am using Parallels 3 on the Win Xp Pro side
I can get both my printers Hp Laserjet 1320(Usb) and Hp Photosmart 8230 to work on the mac side.
I have use iFelix (printing tyo a printer on a Mac running 10.4x from a windows Xp Pc) example to get the Laserjet to work on the windows side,
but no matter how I try I cannot get the Photosmart to work. It actually hangs within the Add printer setup, near the end of the installation.
You mention emulation and I have read something about that, is this what I need to do? I also note in the Printer setup (Printing - Faxing - Sharing- window on the mac side I have 3 printers listed Adobe PDF 8, hop Laserjet 1320 and Photosmart 8200 series. The 'Selected Printer in Print dialog:' window below Print queue and Printer setup icons, shows hp Laserjet 1320 for all of these printers when I click the up down arrows. That seems strange to me, as I would have thought it should have the details of each printer relative to the 'Print dialog'.
Thanks for your help
:)

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi
I have been battling with this for some weeks now, and have FINALLY done it.
I thought I would send this in for those who are still noty able to get printing
on the Windows-Paralles side.
Please visit this site:
http://kb.parallels.com/entry/43/315/0

I hope you find it useful.
It is also desirable to use Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS - For Mono laser printing
and for color printing either the Hp Color Laserjet 8500 Ps as recommended
by Parallels for a 'Color printer' or Apple Color laser 12/600 driver.

Ta
Gwen O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.