MSN Messenger

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5. 1GB Ram, Super Drive.
In that last few days, whenever I close an individual MSN chat window, the whole thing closes with a stupid Microsoft error report. This is really annoying. Anyone know what causes it and how I can stop it.

My friend, who also has a mac says this happens to him sometimes.

Help? O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
MSN Messenger is somewhat unstable on the Mac, I have also noticed this.

Try Adium, it looks nicer, runs better, can connect to MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and others.

http://www.adiumx.com/

Cheers

OP
A

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MSN Messenger is somewhat unstable on the Mac, I have also noticed this.

Try Adium, it looks nicer, runs better, can connect to MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and others.

http://www.adiumx.com/

Cheers

I have Adium but I dont really like it that much. Yes, it looks nice but I dont like that it doesn't have the what your listen to option, its annoying to change screen name and I just generally don't like the way it works...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0ghz
Is there a particular reason you were using MSN's official client rather than Adium or another multi-protocol IM client?

OP
A

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a particular reason you were using MSN's official client rather than Adium or another multi-protocol IM client?

Yes, because I like it better...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well fair enough - unfortunately you'll have to put up with the crashes, because this is a common complaint. I can only suggest you ensure you have the latest version downloaded from the MS website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0ghz

Sorry, we made our posts at the same time so I didn't see your other reply.

I have Adium but I dont really like it that much. Yes, it looks nice but I dont like that it doesn't have the what your listen to option, its annoying to change screen name and I just generally don't like the way it works...

What do you mean by "it doesn't have what your listen to option?" If you mean by music, you can change your status to "iTunes" and it will show your status as being whatever you're listening to in iTunes.

And what do you mean by it's annoying to change screen name? Do you mean to change your alias, sign-on to a different name, or what? Your complaints may just be unfamiliarity with how it works.

All things take a little bit of getting used to. I went from Trillian to Adium myself. I didn't love Adium at first, but I do now. Of course, you may be different, but I think you should give it another shot and see if it grows on you. :D

Edit: May want to try Mercury Messenger as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2GHz intel core duo 2 GB ram Mac os x 10.5 Leopard
simply download an app delete program appdelete is one.
delete messenger. reload it. "boom" your back at it crash free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
OK.. .
here is the info...

I went into installing all the clients that I can get and here is what I got.

Microsoft Messenger - Good. It simply remains one of the best even though its not maintained anymore. Pretty sure that there are no more new versions coming out. If there is, it would have been out by now.

aMSN - Good, but I find it a bit fussy. It has all the features that the Windows Live Messenger has and its all good. But it does not impress in looks. Skins and stuff are difficult to install...

Mercury Messenger - BY far one of the best I've seen. It has one draw back. It's Java. Hence it uses up quite a bit of system resources.

Adium - Lacks some of the features that aMSN and Mercury Messenger has. But in the end proved to be one of the best and takes less resources to run.

I use Adium for this reason. Take a look at the pic I've attached.

adium screenshot.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 160GB HD
instead of using grab for your screenshots just use the keyboard shortcut "command-shift-3"

Reaction score
Do you have the beta for safari 3 coz thats probably what's causing the crashes if u do, go back to apple download the beta again and choose the un-install option. hopefully that helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
What I find hilarious about a good many chat client user is how dependent they are on letting everyone know what song they are listening to. MSN Messenger stinks on the Mac. Adium will show what you are listening to in iTunes, you just have to convince your MSN buddies to switch to AIM or some other client that can see it. if they really cared what you were listening to they would switch. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
You must be refering to Trillian. Cool client, I use it on my work laptop. I still prefer Adium though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be refering to Trillian. Cool client, I use it on my work laptop. I still prefer Adium though.

Not quite sure what I was referring to, I couldn't even read my own link (which refers to Trillian as you say). :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yea... the problem the OP described is probably because of the safari 3 beta. you could revert down to safari 2 again, but i would suggest amsn. if you just use msn, and want all the features, amsn is the way to go. as stated, it doesn't look very pretty, but it gets the job done. adium is really lacking in the features, but probably the best multi-protocol app around. but if you're not into the multi-protocols.. go amsn ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.