Leopard OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 15.4", 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, 80GB HD. Leopard on order.
Is this the latest OS coming out for our macs?
Im brand new to mac and don't even know how recent my OS is, i believe its just OSX, is that outdated?
When is Leopard coming out and how much?
Will my computer run it? Macbook Pro, 1.83Ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The latest system out for your mac is 10.4 or (tiger)
And this month (according to the rumours) 10.5 or (leopard) will be released. And yes your computer will be able to run it.

And all 10.something systems are called OS X. Just cause it's the 10th major release of the system software and X being roman numerals for 10. And yes your system is the most modern one around and defiantly not outdated yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just to add to what the8thark said, Leopard is the next major revision of OS X (pronounced "Oh Ess Ten", not "Oh Ess Ex"). It will be released in October, and that is actually not a rumor, but the official statement from Apple. It will cost $129 and there will be only one "edition". Your MacBook Pro should run it just fine, although I would suggest upgrading to 1GB+ of RAM, if you haven't done so already.

Also please feel free to take advantage of the search feature. We have quite a few new and first time Mac owners here, so as you might imagine, any question you have has probably been asked and answered several times. You'll be amazed at how easily you can find answers to your questions just by entering a few carefully chosen keywords in the Search field.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies, and forgot to add, i have 2gigs of ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
leopard will run fine with 2 gigs of ram

Reaction score
Where is the official statement from Apple about the Leopard release?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120Gb hard drive, 2Gb ram
I pre-ordered leopard from amazon, it says that the expected ship date is the end of the month (the 31st).... Its hard to say though, apple will probably release it earlier. Thats how it worked with the ipod touch anyways.....

Reaction score
Thanks Lucky (and all), I really appreciate the info! My current PC is on it's last legs so I'm trying to decide about the iMac.

I've been a PC user forever and just don't want or need a huge learning curve since I have a home based business where it's crucial that I have a working computer. Although my Mac friends say it's pretty intuitive. Oh, and I'm concerned that the Apple store is not even close and I don't know if there are any on-site folks out my way (just in case). Guess I can call and ask.

And I don't want to get NEAR Vista! So I'm in a bit of a spot. I know Dell still offers Win XP on some machines, but of course the same old problems would just come up again. So the question is should I buy now or struggle along for the next month or so?

Ack, guess it's just one of those days! :Angry-Tongue: I ordered a new printer and it arrived today DOA. The Canon customer service was amazing , however, which was refreshing. But still, just one more aggravating thing.

Hey, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, my apologies. I'll perhaps start a new topic regarding my indecision about waiting or not.

Thanks again for the scoop, Jennifer

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new OS is only $129? Why so cheap?
Can this OS be installed w/o having to format?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new OS is only $129? Why so cheap?

Because we're talking about Apple here, not Microsoft :D

Can this OS be installed w/o having to format?

Yes, and as I understand it, the installation is a lot more straightforward than it is with Windows. A clean install is usually not necessary.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So when installing it i wont have to reload all my programs?
I cant wait :)

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im about to pre-order my leopard with amazon, do i now need to pay to run parallels with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
I've been a PC user forever and just don't want or need a huge learning curve since I have a home based business where it's crucial that I have a working computer. Although my Mac friends say it's pretty intuitive. Oh, and I'm concerned that the Apple store is not even close and I don't know if there are any on-site folks out my way (just in case). Guess I can call and ask.

Jenny,

Brand new switcher here, and when I say 'brand new' I mean I've had my MacBook Pro, my first Mac, for a total of three weeks. Admittedly, I've played with it before - my sister-in-law wanted a Mac when their last computer died, and I used my corporate discount to get it for them, and played with it a little, but nothing like this.

I'm going to now state a few differences between my MacBook Pro and my Dell XPS2 notebook computer:
  1. Much faster bootup time
  2. As a notebook, much faster time to recover from hibernation mode on the MacBook Pro
  3. A little weird to get used to the one-button touchpad, especially in World of Warcraft, which has a lot of 'right-click' functions, but once you get the hang of it it's easy.
  4. switching between programs unimaginably faster with the MacBook Pro - I can apple-tab from WoW to Adium (an IM client for the Mac) with no delays; my XPS2 needs about three seconds at the least to switch from WoW (in windowed mode) to Trillian.
  5. Once you get over the initial transition hump, it does get exceedingly intuitive
  6. notebook only: the MacBook Pro collectively, including the power brick, is much lighter than the XPS2. (the MBP powerbrick has little flip-outs on it you can wind the cord around - how cool is that?)
  7. the aesthetics of the machine are cleaner

So, uh, I guess you can count me as a happy switcher!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im about to pre-order my leopard with amazon, do i now need to pay to run parallels with it?

Parallels Desktop is another third party application that allows you to run Windows simultaneously with Mac OS X. It is a pay-for, standalone application that is separate and distinct from Mac OS X. It runs around $79 + the cost of a copy of Windows.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well right now i have Bootcamp, and i just ordered my copy of leopard from Amazon. Will i need anything else to continue using bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
I don't think you will. Bootcamp is going to be integrated into Leopard, instead of the 'beta' version you're running now.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i dont even have tiger, my disk just said OSX, not sure on the version.
How much better will Leopard be?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well i dont even have tiger, my disk just said OSX, not sure on the version.
How much better will Leopard be?

Your MBP came with Tiger. 10.4 is Tiger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.