anyone switch from sk3 to iphone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
i was the first to say to my friends that the iphone was gonna be an overpriced waste. i was also the first to say that i was wrong, and now i really want one.

im coming from a sidekick and theres a few things that i like better about the sidekick from what ive seen so far. first the keyboard. i havent actually clocked my typing speed on the sidekick, but everyone who has seen me type on it is amazed. i know that i wont be able to match my speed on the sk. ok so thats actually the only thing i like better on my sidekick. the iphone also doesnt have mms like the sidekick, which really didnt make sense to me, but considering ive never had mms on a phone yet, i can live a little while longer without it. also im used to not having access to 3rd party apps, and only a fixed amount of ringtones, so that shouldnt be a problem.

basically im just curious if anyone has switched from a sidekick, which i use all day long for texting and sending im's. or if anyones heard anything or has input. thanks. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Well I think the Sidekick was designed especially for texting.... where Iphone is more of a multi use phone... as for the typing I was told that the iphone keyboard learns from your finger patterns to make typing easier and I think they are right becuase my chubby fingers almost never miss a letter....

I think the sidekick is a cool phone if you love Chatting, IMing and so fourth, but you will love everything the iphone offers and I bet alot more cool things are on the way

My Niece has the sidekick and shes probably awesome like you on it... but she used my iphone for 5 minutes and wants to switch

OP
peat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
My Niece has the sidekick and shes probably awesome like you on it... but she used my iphone for 5 minutes and wants to switch

thats basically exactly how i feel. and i saw the video on the typing features, which made me feel a lot better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
thats basically exactly how i feel. and i saw the video on the typing features, which made me feel a lot better.

Your going to get way more use out of the iphone... go for it peat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My sister has the Sidekick and like you, she's always texting with the thing. She played with my iPhone and within a couple of minutes, took it hostage and wouldn't give it back :p

Looks like given the opportunity, every Sidekick owner would switch to an iPhone ;P

Reaction score
People who are attracted to sidekicks usually catch the iPhone as eye candy and the fact that it has more applications. In my case I am coming from a Blackjack and I have been asked why I switched from a Blackjack to the Iphone. When you compare the 2, Id say Blackjack was nice, but was actually more exspensive per month. Blackjack had a faster typing keyboard, 3g Speeds, AIM, Microsoft Office Applications, You can play nitendo games and 1000's of more 3rd party apps which you do. But I was dissappointed in some things and needed an ipod and a iphone was cheap at the time so I switched.

But I know many people with sidekicks, and yes they were amazed by the iphone. But texting is great on the iPhone, I love how organized the messages are. Only thing is instant messaging, I found a way to do it, but we need an iChat applications which I think will come soon. So besides the keyboard, sidekickers will love the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I havent switched but I have used the sidekick and I have an iphone.

I actually like the iphone keyboard, although it would be much bettter if you could use it horizontally. I thought I would struggle to get used to it but it really isnt that bad.

OP
peat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
grrrr and i just found out that the iphone doesnt have a dedicated chat app. that almost fully turns me off. but im like a kid i want it so bad lol. and aside from hearing theres ways around that. i know deep inside that soon enough well have a chat function.

ive decided im gonna wait a little longer. a little longer probably meaning a week or so lol. i wont be able to control myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are two third party chat applications, along with several web-based applications, all of which are really good. If coming from a Sidekick, you would probably want to get the third party apps, which are really simple to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Be aware that installing that those third party IM apps on your iphone will void your warranty.

But if you still want to, Apollo is probably the best one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.