Problems with Macs across server

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this... Our office runs several macs on a window server... a month ago one of the imacs' logic board cratered and was sent off for repairs. We got it back and reinstalled everything... but now across the server this computer is experiencing and creating problems...

From Problem iMac.
1. Many Apple created items (from other Macs) without extensions show up as the generic unix file that cannot be opened...

2. Many folders/files on server show up with a [x] weird symbol in the name that only this mac sees. All other macs see the folder/file names correctly.

3. When creating a folder or files... sometimes other network users cannot see open or use these items... (I thought it may be a ownership & permissions thing but it doesn't happen all the time)
(as a result here are the Problems other Macs face)
a. folders that no one else can open items in them
b. files that show up as if they are hidden and when you click on them they disappear and reappear

These iMacs are running Tiger on a Windows 2003 server.

Any help on any of these issues will be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
This may not be what you want to hear, but having a windows server host mac data is a bad idea. The NTFS file system is not meant to deal Mac resource/data forks. I've seen this happen a few times.

What to do,...?

Move the data to a Mac with a large enough hard drive and re configure backups.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hey... Thanks...

Yeah, hopefully soon we can do that... still a bit frustrating... just wish I could get it to work like it did before it crashed... thanks anyway though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.