Just bought a MacBook today, couple of questions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13.3” 2.16GHz/2GB RAM/120GB HD/SuperDrive
Hello,

I just bought a MacBook today and so far I love it. Until my Booq Vyper comes in I slipped it into the notebook sleeve of my backpack. When I pulled it out of the bag at the library I got a static shock. Is this a common problem with this kind of finish/material. Could I have hurt anything?

The other thing I noticed is that while charging and running, there is a high-pitched hiss/squeal coming from the corner of the laptop near the power cable. Removing the cable makes the noise stop. It's not very loud but it is audible sitting in front of it. The noise changes depending on computer activity, but is constant at idle. Is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
nah doesnt sound normal to me, id take it back or to your nearest apple shop and get it looked at!

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dropped it off at my school's store, they are going to look at it. I'm going to see if my friend's macbook squeals when charging as well.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Checked out my friend's notebook and it does the same thing! Tricks like opening Photobooth to stop the noise worked on his as well. It appears to be a characteristic as well as a defect (imo). It's not terrible and otherwise the laptop works perfectly, so I suppose i'll just have to get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
Checked out my friend's notebook and it does the same thing! Tricks like opening Photobooth to stop the noise worked on his as well. It appears to be a characteristic as well as a defect (imo). It's not terrible and otherwise the laptop works perfectly, so I suppose i'll just have to get used to it.

mine doesnt squeal

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine doesnt squeal

Interesting. I'm referring to when the battery is being charged by the adapter and when the computer is running. Put your ear close to the upper left corner. It seems to be a common problem. I'm guessing you are just not as sensitive to it. Or heck maybe you are lucky enough not to have it at all. But I would be suprised. Oh, did you do the latest firmware update?

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook#Idle_Processor_Noise

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5299161

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5047134

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5373787

http://forums.macrumors.com/printthread.php?t=346299

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4261457

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
A thread you linked to on the Apple Discussions say it's the CPU. Mine has a small squealing sound but only when I place my ear towards the left side. No big problem...when is my head going to be that close anyways?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, it is definitely the cpu. My beef was that I could hear it when it sits next to my other monitor on a stand on my desk. I guess I need to deafen myself a bit until they release firmware or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just put my head up to the left corner, I can't seem to hear anything.

That static shock is what's making me think you have a defective unit. The thing is made of plastic, you shouldn't be getting shocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
I get the high pitched whine when mine is charging, but it's only really noticeable in a very quiet room and my ears are very sensitive to high pitch sounds.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the posts guys. The authorized Mac guy at school said the noise is typical and not to worry about it. I've already gotten used to it for the most part. The only time I really hear it is my quiet dorm room. I don't think the laptop is defective, everything runs and works very well. As for the shock, it was a static shock of the case, not an electrical shock. It was from all the friction sliding it out of cheapo polyester north face sleeve. (probably like the static you can generate from rubbing a balloon on your head) It doesn't seem to have done any damage since the quiet hiss seems very common.

Thank you again for your input and posts.

Reaction score
Mine squeals and I think I made a thread about it also when my laptop was new. I promise you, in a few months you'll be saying, "what squeal?" because once you stop thinking it means there's something wrong, you won't be listening for it and you won't hear it either.

I wouldn't worry about the static shock too much. It is a shiny surface, but if it keeps happening then maybe pop into an Apple store and mention it and see what they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello,

I just bought a MacBook today and so far I love it. Until my Booq Vyper comes in I slipped it into the notebook sleeve of my backpack. When I pulled it out of the bag at the library I got a static shock. Is this a common problem with this kind of finish/material. Could I have hurt anything?

The other thing I noticed is that while charging and running, there is a high-pitched hiss/squeal coming from the corner of the laptop near the power cable. Removing the cable makes the noise stop. It's not very loud but it is audible sitting in front of it. The noise changes depending on computer activity, but is constant at idle. Is this normal?

a couple things can cause static shock. perhaps it was the carpet in the library and the touch of plastic (your macbook) that elicited this response. in anycase it's no biggie and should be nothing to worry about.. but..

A SQUEAL?!

doesn't sound very normal to me.. i'm really hoping that you're mistakening it for the fans because a squeal should be taken care of, STAT!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (white), 2 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 120 GB, Superdrive, 10.4.10.
I haven't had the problem with the squeal either.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should not have used the word squeal, that was a bad choice of words. It is a high frequency hiss. I've only seen two macbooks in my life and they both are new and they both hiss so my vote is that this is normal. I'm already pretty much used to it. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.