• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Attention Bootcampers: dump Windows or buy Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306583

I guess I just never came to the conclusion that when Leopard comes out, Bootcamp will no longer be in beta and Apple will actually want some compensation for it. I suppose anyone using Windows will have to either kick the habit (if you don't have to use it for some kind of requirement) or pony up the dough for the upgrade.

I just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else was like me and didn't realize their Bootcamp will expire with Leopard release. I wasn't sure if I would upgrade, but since I have to use some Windows apps, I'm now sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Well technically it will still work, if I'm reading the wording right:

The license to use Boot Camp Beta expires when Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is available to the public. To continue using Boot Camp at that time, upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

So the license expires but I'm assuming not the functionality, otherwise a lot of people will be ticked off (not that that would add to Apple's recently stunts lol). Anywho, grab WinClone and have at it:

http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen
Yeah it sounds like to me that you either have to buy leopard which it's included with or the license will expire for the beta version. I myself am leopard but on the other hand I don't use windows other than at work so I don't really need bootcamp. So I guess the only ones out of luck are the people not upgrading to leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
so basically when leopard comes out i cant use bootcamp.

?

thanks apple - not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
No, you'll still be able to use it. They won't lock thousands of people out of their computers.

But you'll be stuck with what you have ie. a beta version and I doubt you'll get any driver updates unless you get the final version with Leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When your Bootcamp beta dies - as mine has - the only thing that ceases to function is the Bootcamp Assistant.app - your Windows Bootcamp partition is still there and fully functional.

Nice find on that app kaidomac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
so much misinformation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
so basically when leopard comes out i cant use bootcamp.

?

thanks apple - not

That's the nature of beta software - and BootCamp specified it's time-limited nature on the very first screen I saw when using it. I assume you read that...?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so much misinformation...

Well, then I guess I'm confused. If there's so much misinformation, can you provide the real information?

All I know is, I will need to use Windows, and I will want to get updates if necessary, so I guess I'll need Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
This has been clear from the beginning. Bootcamp beta will expire when Leopard is released. I never even used Bootcamp and knew that. C'mon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
How will bootcamp expire. Will it just not work on a certain date or what? I'm really interested on how this expiration will occur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Your Windows partition will not change in any way.

The way you use Windows will not change in any way.

The way you use OSX will not change in any way.

You will no longer be able to access your BootCamp Assistant while in OSX, or you may be able to access and have some of the features limited.

But seriously, after you have Windows installed, who uses that anyway? To update to the latest version of BootCamp? If you can't live without the latest and greatest BootCamp, then living with 10.4 would be even more painful.

This will not changes anyone's BootCamp lives in any way imaginable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Your Windows partition will not change in any way.

The way you use Windows will not change in any way.

The way you use OSX will not change in any way.

You will no longer be able to access your BootCamp Assistant while in OSX, or you may be able to access and have some of the features limited.

But seriously, after you have Windows installed, who uses that anyway? To update to the latest version of BootCamp? If you can't live without the latest and greatest BootCamp, then living with 10.4 would be even more painful.

You can knock your system time back while you start up the boot camp assistant in OS X to partition your hard drive and burn your windows xp driver cd then switch it back and all will be good.

I tested this last year when I first got boot camp and heard it will expire.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

How can you be so sure?

I spoke to someone at Apple support about this issue. Unfortunately, she wasn't much help. She couldn't tell me how the license expiration of beta would affect actual use (access, updates, etc) but she did say that basically if you're accessing Windows on your Mac via Bootcamp after the expiration, you're basically violating the EULA. So, you may be able to get away with it, but running Windows on your Mac this way is akin to running any other Apple software without purchase/permission; not kosher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Because if you boot into Windows, your computer doesn't even know if you have Boot Camp installed, it's just a second partition.

Taken from MacNN on previous expirations of Boot Camp - "The document notes that the license to use Boot Camp Beta 1.2 or earlier expires on September 30, 2007 and that the Boot Camp Assistant Beta will no longer open after expiration."

Windows works, Boot Camp Assistant doesn't.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Because if you boot into Windows, your computer doesn't even know if you have Boot Camp installed, it's just a second partition.

Taken from MacNN on previous expirations of Boot Camp - "The document notes that the license to use Boot Camp Beta 1.2 or earlier expires on September 30, 2007 and that the Boot Camp Assistant Beta will no longer open after expiration."

Windows works, Boot Camp Assistant doesn't.

Agreed with both your posts. Only issue will be if something really goes wrong with the Windows partition or say your Hard Drive died. Then you could not run the beta of Bootcamp.app to reinstall it all. That would be a good time to get Leopard in my opinion. Otherwise, Windows will continue to function like it does now. Just no bootcamp.app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
It's about time that Apple did this, no one actually really really needs Windows.

Most things run on Mac OS X, and if you have to use the inferior then buy Paraells.

I had the same problem when I switched to Linux, I didn't keep Windows. I jumped in and switched.

Give me a reason why anyone would NEED Windoze?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
It's about time that Apple did this, no one actually really really needs Windows.

Most things run on Mac OS X, and if you have to use the inferior then buy Paraells.

I had the same problem when I switched to Linux, I didn't keep Windows. I jumped in and switched.

Give me a reason why anyone would NEED Windoze?

Here's a reason:

I'm a student and some of my classes require work to be done on Windows-only apps. If you've got a way to run .exe's on Mac OS X, I'd love to see it!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here's a reason:

I'm a student and some of my classes require work to be done on Windows-only apps. If you've got a way to run .exe's on Mac OS X, I'd love to see it!

Well, as long as they are not some demanding 3d game, Parallels should work GREAT. There is also Crossover and others that do not even require Windows to run at least some windows apps. I understand your need by the way, Completely in fact, but 99% can be done without Bootcamp installed Windows. If you upgrade to Leopard do remember that Bootcamp will be there and you would be back to normal.

I really do not run Windows on my Macs as I have PC's for that purpose being a PC Computer/Network tech, but if I did I would much prefer Parallels for anything I would be doing as I could still be in OSX and Windows at the same time. More productive to me at least! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You fail to take into account the process in which you get INTO that second partition. Boot Camp isn't just the partitioning utility, it is also the bootloader. So there's a very distinct possibility that once Boot Camp expires, the bootloader could disable your ability to get into Windows.

Also, I believe Boot Camp isn't set to expire till the end of the year. When Leopard was delayed from June to October, Boot Camp wasn't going to expire till September. So I'm guessing people will have until December to continue using Boot Camp. It could be in the EULA, but I haven't looked through that, so perhaps somebody else could shed more light on this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.