Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
Six months ago I purchased my iBook g3 from the Unversity Book Store here at University of Nebraska -Lincoln back in February. There have been many highs and lows as far as satisfaction or general issues go, but for the interim of the time, despite constant whining and angry forum posts, I think I was happy with my iBook.

I'd decided that I was going to sell it and upgrade to the powerbook (since they are suppose to offer more boost) All was hunky dory... I'd spent money on Icecreme and iKlear, ready to give the iBook (and those items) on to the next switcher via ebay.

Until recently.... Two days ago, I'd started experiencing awkward behavior from my mac. Unfortunately, I have no understanding as to how to regenerate the issue, other than it happens as often and frequently as it wants. No matter WHAT I'm doing....: play games, writing emails, listening to music, bitching (haha) on iChat... It just freezes... The entire machine locks up, and the screen starts twitching... Parts of the screen start distorting. There are weird lines that appear (distortion...) and the only way to reboot is to remove the battery.

Upon rebooting, the iBook will lock up. Sometimes before the login window, sometimes after... If there are any usb devices or headphones plugged in, the iBook will not boot at all.

Out of curiousity, I looked up the issue and found that Apple's iBook g3's have had some "logic board" issues and they are starting an extended program for these. I also look at my serial number and sure enough, it's there.

Happy in believing that the problem would soon be solved, I called up to tech support and spoke to a gentleman named Ryan. Not your average customer service call.... (If I were to speak to any of my customers the way he spoke and treated me, I'd be fired on the spot... and that's hard to do at Dr. Leonards....)

This post is getting too long... so I guess I'll just cut to the chase. I don't know how to regenerate the problem, but know that I can only use the laptop for a maximum of 15min before it locks up again. (15 mins is the max when I use the computer on reduced processor usage...)

Ryan told me that unless I can figure out EXACTLY how to regenerate the problem, even after describing the problems I was experiencing, that I would just have to live with it. I'm sorry, but laptops are for mobility... I need to use it for more than 15min :(. For the first time in about 7 years, I cried. Tears... no sobbing, but burning eyes... frustration? Or maybe the feeling of being completely powerless/useless. If apple techsupport won't fix the problem, who can I turn to?

So my question is: What can I do?

I'm posting from my pc, since I can't work on the mac right now. I've got my sisters digicam and I'll take a picture(s) of what happens and uploaded to my webserver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've not heard of that one before. My suggestion is to call Apple back again. I can't believe that you got a rude tech....they're usually pretty good. Hopefully you can get someone more helpful by calling back. Or maybe someone else here might have seen that issue before...

OP
mpeters13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
schweb said:
I've not heard of that one before. My suggestion is to call Apple back again. I can't believe that you got a rude tech....they're usually pretty good. Hopefully you can get someone more helpful by calling back. Or maybe someone else here might have seen that issue before...

Hi. I called back this afternoon, and the rep was so nice. He told me to call back when the database was up. He will go ahead and setup a return for me.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.