Printing on Windows XP Shared Printer

E

einheit

Ok, I'm at my wit's end here. I got my powerbook about two months ago and have loved every minute of it. I never use my windows machine anymore, but do have my wi-fi set up for printer sharing. My powerbook recognizes the printer fine, print files appear to be accepted by the windows computer and printer. The job hits the print queue, the printing status light blinks on the printer, and then *poof*, no more print job. The job leaves the queue and the printer never actually prints the job. Any thoughts on this one? The printer is USB and connected directly to my windows machine instead of connected to my router. Would that make a difference? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Checked the printer? That print job leaving the queue tells me the computer interpreted the printer accepted and printed the job

OP
M

MoltenLava

I don't know if it'll make you feel better, but I have the same problem. ;)

Well, not exactly the same problem. I get a lot of garbage being printed out. I have two printers connected to the Windows machine, and one of them works. The other one prints garbage. I didn't bother to troubleshoot this problem yet. I'm leaning towards to driver compatibility. In my case I think Mac is sending postscript file to the printer and my printer does not handle postscript.

Anyways, I'd suggest to check the printer driver on your Mac. And if necessary download the new version from the vendor's website.

OP
E

einheit

Thanks all, printer works fine from the Vaio. It's a Canon i850. I downloaded the mac driver from the Canon site last night, but it's not showing the printer in the Show Info printer type drop down list. I can print using other Canon printers listed but, like MoltenLava, it's just printing trash. Felt better seeing atleast something come out of the printer. Figure if I can get the printer to show in the drop down list all will be good. Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.