Can G3 Lombard Powerbook run OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Hi All, My old powerbook G3 333mhz is running OS9.2, I have just upgraded the ram and now it's got 320mb (64 & 256), Can i install osx on it and if so what version is best and is there anything to watch out for?, It seems a shame to put it in the cupboard and forget about it.

Cheers

Geoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have a imac 333mhz 256MB memory and it runs 10.3 just fine. So yours should be able to do the same. Just beware it takes literally hours to install in a machine of that speed. But once it's loaded up it'll work like a charm. Still it's not the fastest thing in the world but it can do most basic tasks and even some image/music editing ok. But it isn't the best with video. Too slow.

And yeah the latest apps won't run on it. But for what it's worth I'd try to breath life back into that old machine before I'd think about giving it away or selling it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" 2.66ghz 4GB ram 640GB HD, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3.
Thanks for that i'll go ahead and get the install discs off my mate and give it a go, It should keep the kids off my desktop Apple!.

cheers
Geoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Thanks for that i'll go ahead and get the install discs off my mate and give it a go, It should keep the kids off my desktop Apple!.

cheers
Geoff

Hold on there!

Firstly, unless your mate has a multi-license retail copy, it might not work. In other words, if you're using a disc that came with his Mac, what you're doing is against the EULA and won't work anyway.

Secondly, you'll need a DVD drive and Firewire port to install Tiger.

Reaction score
OSX on Lombard

Heck, I've even heard some crazy people putting Leopard on it! I wouldn't advise it...

Anyway, I have OSX 10.4.10 on mine and it runs very fast...quite happy with it. I've recently started experiencing some issues installing new apps...but for what I use it for I'm good.

You can use those apps for install...but what I did was:

1)Remove hard drive
2)Put in external Firewire enclosure
3)Hook it up to a Firewire Mac
4)Boot to OSX CD/DVD and install OSX onto external
5)Replace your hard drive back into Lombard.

There ya go,

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.