Hard disk recognised is very very strange way

Reaction score
Hi
I have not been able to use my external FAT32 USB hard drive since the 10.4.10 update. Many other also suffered this. Here it is in detail:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67484&highlight=Justin

However, now I just copied my internal drive (on my macbook) to an external HFS+ drive, and when I boot from that drive now, I can access my FAT32 drive! It can see it fine.

Then, even more strange, if I shutdown, and then start up from my internal drive, it can also see my FAT32 drive!! BUT, inly for the first time. I can use it, everything is normal. But, if I dismount it, then that's it. If I turn the drive on again, it will not see it, not recognise it. Even if I restart my computer, it will still not see it. However, if I reboot from the external HFS+ drive, then restart again from the internal drive, again I can see the FAT32 drive. Only the first time.

To someone, this probably makes sense. Perhaps it tells you where the problem is? Could be very useful! I would really love to use this drive! The only solution on the net given, sounded very complicated and some people had big problems from it. So maybe this now indicates a simpler solution (seeing as mac seems to be doing nothing about it!)

Thank you!
Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.