Bootable backup missing my desktop!

Reaction score
Hi
I used "Silverkeeper" backup program, to backup my macbook internal hard drive to an external USB hard drive, HFS+ formatted. It asked if I wanted it a bootable backup, and I said yes.

I expected it to be identical to my internal drive. However it seems not to be.
It DOES allow me to boot from it. However, my desktop is different. The picture I have for my desktop is gone, and the default one is there. All the items on my desktop are not there. And my dock does not have any of the programs I put there. However, if I go to the applications folder, my programs are there.

What is happening? I used Silverkeeper again, to check the 2 drives to see if they were the same. It took a long time to check, and finally said everything was the same. (I guess it means all the files are the same. I did not make a "disk image" - I am not as advanced as to know about such things).

Any help with this would be very useful.
Thank you
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Have you tried SuperDuper? I use it to clone a backup to my WD My Book and from what I can tell it's an exact clone (desktop and all).

You can download it here: www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I totally agree with kfordham281, I use SuperDuper and it's awesome. Does a full clone plus it does incremental upgrades after that so it's even faster. I would 100% recommend SuperDuper for cloning.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
3rd vote for Superduper!

It seems to be pretty much the standard bearer around this forum for backups.

Reaction score
I'm curious, can anyone compare Carbon Copy Cloner to SuperDuper and advise why you think one is better than the other. I had Retrospect Extreme that came with my LaCie drive, it was TERRIBLE.

I then got CCC and it was so smooth and easy. Cloned my HD (11+GB in 21 minutes over FireWire 800) Documentation is clear and concise and to the point. I also tried the Selective Backup which worked nicely too.

3rd vote for Superduper!

It seems to be pretty much the standard bearer around this forum for backups.

M

MacHeadCase

This is basically the same reply I gave you in your thread, naftalim. Here's a comparison test of all major backup applications for Mac OS X and only one has been labelled as highly recommended by the author, SuperDuper!, some of them getting an avoid at all costs.

OP
J
Reaction score
I remember now why I used Silverkeeper. Superduper can't copy from a FAT32 drive to another drive. Silverkeeper can.
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This is basically the same reply I gave you in your thread, naftalim. Here's a comparison test of all major backup applications for Mac OS X and only one has been labelled as highly recommended by the author, SuperDuper!, some of them getting an avoid at all costs.
CCC has been updated since that comparison and now support block by block cloning, so I'm not sure if that might improves the metadata issue outlined in that post...

Having said that, I'm a happy SuperDuper! customer and would highly recommend it to everyone here: I run automatic daily backups and it's never given me any trouble and I know my most important data is safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.