My MBP set itself back to factory default???

Reaction score
I know this title is a little vague, but its the only way I can describe what happened. I restarted my MBP and when it loaded back up, all my apps were gone from the dock, replaced with the factory default ones. Also, my background had reverted back to the default image. My settings for folder views and such were also reset. Even the icons in the finder for documents, movies, pictures, ect, are replaced with generic folder icons. My itunes is also reset, making me have to add all my media again. What the heck happened? As far as I know, all my apps are still installed, but everything else is factory default.

M

MacHeadCase

The correct way to do this is in this Apple Knowledge Base article. But don't go there right away! Please! Manually changing the user account name is a big nono as you now can see.

Some have suggested in previous same topic discussions that you manually change it back to what it was, restart and in some cases it fixes things. Worse comes to worse, You'll have to reinstall though. Do a search in here, it has been discussed a few times already and you should see what has been suggested so far to get out of this mess.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah, i wish I would have known that such a small action would totally screw up my computer. I looked at that article and didn't really see it discussing my particular problem. Also, would I need to reinstall if all my apps and files are still on the computer?

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow, this is really odd, I restarted my computer again, and now I cant find any of my music? Thats like 10 gigs of music all gone. This is beyond frustrating now.

M

MacHeadCase

No I meant to search in the forums here since this has been discussed before and good solutions were already offered. All I know is that link I posted earlier and that I read that in some cases renaming the home folder back to what it was can salvage your stuff. But that's all I can offer up to this point.

Maybe someone else will drop in here and help a bit further but if you want to be proactive about it in the meantime, search in the forums for the same type of problem.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Yeah, after I renamed it and restarted, it already defaulted it back to the original name. Also, I tried searching, but I don't know what to search for without being really vague and getting hundreds of topics that have nothing to do with my problem.

M

MacHeadCase

I just typed rename home folder in the search box and there was a bijillion hits.

OP
A
Reaction score
I FIXED IT!

What I did was go to the user folder where I saw the folder I had renamed. I changed that back to default, and the current default to something different. Restarted and everything was fine. Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.