Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr my poor baby :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
You have the serial number right? I know it's unlikely to help but everything's worth a shot

OP
I

Icarus

oh wow, that is the saddest thing I've ever heard in my life...how did it get stolen?

OP
W

WilliS

eek... from where?

also, if you have insurance on it, you may be able to get money for it... lost data sucks big time... but at least you may get a powerbook back

OP
C

Cloudane

Got nicked from work.. I left it downstairs in the shop area for about 10 mins whilst going up for a bite to eat, thought "oops I left it downstairs" and (even though there's always someone down there), there it was gone. Probably some arsehole is now happily feeding his drug addiction for a few months :(

Police basically said, no CCTV, nothing they can (or are willing to) do.. worthless lot.

Lesson very painfully learned.. I'm probably getting a replacement through household insurance thankfully - I have the serial number, receipts etc - but there's still £50 excess and a whole bunch of data (along with a copy of all my emails, I'll have to check for any important passwords and change them) lost, which is a very painful lesson. They could've nicked anything else and I wouldn't have minded so much, but my Powerbook was like another person :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
hope your company has insurance... you could make a claim, right?

OP
C

Cloudane

Looks like the house insurance will cover it, unsure on the work one (they go for the cheapest of everything, I doubt it covers employees' personal items)

Ironically, they were only just fitting a (cheap and nasty) security keypad this afternoon, of all the times for it to go walkies there were already holes drilled in the door waiting for someone to pull their fingers out and fit it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Oops! Here's hoping u get a sparkling new one from ur insurance money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Cloudane said:
Looks like the house insurance will cover it, unsure on the work one (they go for the cheapest of everything, I doubt it covers employees' personal items)

Ironically, they were only just fitting a (cheap and nasty) security keypad this afternoon, of all the times for it to go walkies there were already holes drilled in the door waiting for someone to pull their fingers out and fit it.

*replace your security keypad with one that make silly noises and does nothing else!*

hehe

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Hopefully, you don't have any account numbers on it.

OP
C

Cloudane

Just an update, the replacement is all arranged now and should be sent on Monday (possibly earlier, the guy said)

They're even paying for the Apple memory upgrade, even though I told them that I bought the original stick from Crucial and it'd be much cheaper for them to do the same. Thumbs up for Alliance and Liecester (insurance co) and The Source (supplier). :)

50 quid down, but happy to be getting one back.

Incidentally I saw my most likely suspect(s) today. One guy about 18-19, another about 16-17 were hanging around outside all day watching the windows. Several people noticed them. I saw the older one come in, try door to the sales warehouse only to find it'd been fitted with a security keypad and walk straight out, not running but fast paced. Anyone else, like the rest of our customers, would've come upstairs (where he didn't notice me watching) and ask to be let in to look around.

He then came back an hour later with his mate and this time came upstairs to reception. I let them through and of all the warehouse they could've gone they made a beeline *straight* to my area where the laptop was (I bet they were looking for the power supply they forgot last time), asked about the price of the nearest object they could find and left. They spent the rest of the day kicking a ball around outside and I caught them looking up at the office windows upstairs a few times.

Very dodgy... or maybe I'm just paranoid... it'd seem strange for the person who took it to come back and hang around.

BTW I never leave financial data unencrypted and didn't get time to put any on before it got nicked, so no problems there. There were a few passwords to online sites etc that I've now changed though!

First thing I've done is order a lock, first thing on arrival will be to encrypt the home dir, which I never got around to doing first time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hehe... batt dead! ok... were's the nearest Apple store and how much are they where you live?

OP
C

Cloudane

I'm not sure if they even have brick-and-mortar stores in the UK. I've never seen one. PC World only supply the full systems I believe... so they'd probably have to steal a credit card and order from Apple directly at £65 (equates to about US$90?).

Kinda hoping the original one doesn't turn up now lol... the insurance people would probably want the newer one back rather than the original at a guess and goodness knows what'll condition the original might be in. Cosmetic damage == tough luck. On the other hand I hope they are caught and get what they deserve *shrugs*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Hey cloudane. Where did this laptop get nicked.. like what part of what city... and what insurance plan are u on. Alliance and Liecester sound good to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I heard Apple is building a new store in London, and a nice one at that! :)

OP
P

pedrothekevin

You should get some of your friends to come by the store and hang around and "take care" of the two boys. :p

OP
C

Cloudane

Hey cloudane. Where did this laptop get nicked.. like what part of what city... and what insurance plan are u on. Alliance and Liecester sound good to me.

Barrow-in-Furness, a pretty rough little town with a lot of unemployment, misguided youths, drunken violence and drug abuse. (I'm glad to live in Ulverston, it's only something like 7 miles away but the complete opposite of Barrow. It's probably only through living in Ulverston that I knew no better than to leave things lying around for 10 minutes)

It's a really old insurance agreement my parents took up on the house yonks ago (e.g. the camera -well, camera lens - incident was back in 1987.) Amazing thing was, the lens wasn't even dropped in this country :)

I'm not sure if the same policy is available now, or what. I can try to find out. I know it started off as a simple fire insurance and they kinda kept making special offers over the years for contents insurance, covering items taken out of the house etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cloudane said:
Barrow-in-Furness, a pretty rough little town with a lot of unemployment, misguided youths, drunken violence and drug abuse. (I'm glad to live in Ulverston, it's only something like 7 miles away but the complete opposite of Barrow. It's probably only through living in Ulverston that I knew no better than to leave things lying around for 10 minutes)

It's a really old insurance agreement my parents took up on the house yonks ago

I'm not sure if the same policy is available now, or what. I can try to find out.

Barrow, eh? Interestingly, I goto Lancaster Uni. Never been to Barrow though. Ulverston sounds good, never been there either. Anyhow, Ullswater is very beautiful!

All I have is the shitty Endsleigh Insurance and I'm not sure whether I should rely on that. How much do u pay for ur insurance?

OP
C

Cloudane

Dad said:
I don't know, daren't look it's probably scary... I think it's reasonable though

I almost went to Lancaster Uni but decided to start work straight away instead. (Well, *look* for work straight away, but you know...)

You don't want to go to Barrow, it's a tip. Bottom end of society... they have some reasonable shops but nothing you don't have in Lancaster :)

You haven't missed much in Ulverston either :) Just a silly lighthouse on top of a hill nowhere near the sea, a few Stan Laurel tributes, Glaxo, an epic one-way system and loads of charity shops. Good to live in though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.