Help with monitors and video games please!

Reaction score
Hey all, I live in a dorm, so space is limited, I have a macbook black and love her. I want to bring my PS2 from home (probably shouldnt tho) and I will need a TV.

Instead of buying a TV, I thought I could get a 19inch flatscreen monitor for my MB and use it to play PS2. Is this possible? Do they make adapters for this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You could buy a USB capture card and run it that way through your Mac, and then in turn to the 19"

As far as an adapter is concerned, I've been looking for one for my Xbox for ages, but haven't found one. Only for the x360 have I found one.

OP
U
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe an s-video-vga adapter...then I could plug my PS2 to my monitor. The capture card is a good idea, but from my experience with one, it lags a bit, so it wouldnt be good for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yeah, the lag is true. I used to have a PCI capture card in my XP machine that I used my Xbox on before I bought a TV, and it'd lag.

It's like playing Quake multiplayer on an LCD with a 50ms response time.

If you could find a VGA adapter for the PS2, I'd like to know.

I've seen a switch box that had the ability to hook up anything with RCA cables to a VGA monitor, but I've yet to find one anywhere. I'd check eBay if I were you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Wow, it's amazing you found that so quicly! I've been searching for something like that for ages!

However, now it doesn't matter since I'm hopefully picking up an LCD tv tomorrow.

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Why not get a flatscreen TV?

Don't laugh :D

A lot of new TVs have obviously got the connectors you need for your PS2, but also VGA and/or DVI.

I have a 23" Samsung LCD TV which has absolutely everything on it.

Failing that, there *are* monitors out there with S-Video on natively.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.