I dont want to go back to xp: Printer issues in osx!

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im a recent switcher. New to the forum. Power user on XP and semi mac-n00b at the moment!:Oops:

I love my new mac and wanted to buy a macbook pro for myself and also a mac mini for my mom, but I have a few major issues I have to sort out first.

One being:

I have a Hp laserjet p2015dn shared on my network and I print to it using IP printing.

When I go file>print and print it works flawlessly. However, when I click the print shortcut in word for instance (or print through quicksilver), the printer thinks I want to use manual feed. Any ideas why this is?

To sum up: The printer wants to manually feed from tray one when i click the "print shortcut" in any app. If i go file>print it works perfectly.

I have already:
* Installed the latest printer drivers
* Reinstalled the printer
* Restarted the printer
* Tried bonjour printing

Im running:
* Mac mini G4 1.42
* OSX 10.4.10
* Connecting wirelessly to aiport extreme basestation (connected to jetdirect port on printer)

My xp machines doesnt have any problems. Any help will be appreciated. I have to get this working, its really really annoying!

Is there a place where I must change default settings or something?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a driver issue to me.

Try going into System Preferences => Print & Fax => Highlight your printer, click Printer Setup. Look through the different menus that are available, you should find one that says "installable options" or something to that effect. There you should be able to set tray defaults, etc.

OP
Henvan20
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Under installable options I only have collation in printer, tray 3, duplexing and scaling. Ive fiddled with all of these with no luck.

I was also hoping that its a driver problem. :-( I dont know enough about osx to figure out why its only doing it when i use a shortcut....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
did you try...
Press print short cut > select the third drop down menu that says "Copies and Pages" > go down to "print settings" > select paper feed...

OP
Henvan20
Reaction score
did you try...
Press print short cut > select the third drop down menu that says "Copies and Pages" > go down to "print settings" > select paper feed...

Thats the whole point. It only happpens when I print without the print dialog

OP
Henvan20
Reaction score
did you try...

You may be onto something here though. How do I change the default printing prefrences in OSX? If i select standard, change it and press print, it doesnt save the changes. Further, I cannot simply say save as and overwrite the standard setting. Sorry for the stupid question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.