Adding imac to an existing PC home network

M

MarvinG

I have an already functioning PC-based network (Netgear 8-port hardwiired router) using the TCP/IP and I want to add my first Mac ( iMAC with OS/X 10.3.2) to it.

For internet sharing, the iMAC behaved as I thought it would - I did absoultely nothing but plug in the ethernet cable, and voila, instant internet. Impressive. Goota love the mac. :)

Now I want to go the next step and be able to share files and printers.

In the PC world, when I added a new computer, one of the many steps was to give it a UNIQUE CLIENT or computer name (eg DAD), as well as the COMMON WORKGROUP or network name that all the connected computers had (eg MYHOMENET).

I cant seem to find where to enter the latter to tell the iMAC the name of my home network.

I tried to find some tutorials on the topic - found a great one at http://discuss.extremetech.com/extremetech/start/?msg=3753 but it didnt quite answer my question.

Would appreaciate any tips. I suspect I am only one or two steps away from success.

Thanks

Marvin

OP
M

MoltenLava

Application -> Utilities -> Directory Access

Click SMB, and change the name of the workgroup to your home network (MYHOMENET).

The name of the workgroup is not really significant, as you can always navigate to the computers outside your workgroup.

OP
M

MarvinG

OK thaks I'll try that, but the thing is I CANT naviagate to other computers outside the workgroup. I dont see them. All I see the HD, external hardrive, netwrok etc. If I go to netwrok, I do NOT see other machines.

OP
M

MoltenLava

You might not have SMB enabled in Directory Access yet. I am able to see the full Microsoft Network through Network icon of my Macs. SMB is needed to browse Microsoft Network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
MarvinG said:
I cant seem to find where to enter the latter to tell the iMAC the name of my home network.

Use Open Apple + K, and type smb://IPAddress/share
ie: smb://192.168.0.1/c$

It will popup with a domain/workgroup, username, and password text box dialog to authenticate with. Assuming the Windows machine has File sharing turned on.

In some cases you can use the net name of the computer instead of the IP, but that's only if the machine has been running long enough on the network to associate the name with the IP. I just use IP.

r/
-IanCT

OP
N

nick.kirby

Hello, I am having difficulty connecting my ibook to my win XP Sp2 machine.

First things first. I am using a router (dlink 504) to connect to broadusbandus, and a netgear MA101 as a WAP.

The XP machine has simple file sharing turned on. It also has the firewall turned on - with port 139 shared (windows file sharing).

The iBook (ibook) is working ok. Airport is great. Connects to web well and does email without difficulty. I have configured directory access to open port 139 to get to the NTFS shares on my desktop (percy).

Now, here's the annoyance. I want to share my documents folder with my ibook, continually and regularly, without splodge-king all the time, so i want a permanent connection.

I know they all work, as sometimes it does.

Both are in a workgroup, the ibook is only using SMB (no other protocols). It works soemtimes - like ten minutes ago, but after sleeping the laptop it now won't. At all. "Could not connect to server" which is simply infuriating.

Now, I have both sides open in the firewall department, I have both working IP signals, the iBook can see the desktop (although why the thing insists on saying it is in the .local domain is beyond me, as I've turned off DNS and set it to none in 'Network Preferences'.

When I look in sharing, I want to see percy, ibook, and sunpc all in the same level. Not one higher or lower than another.

Could someone explain why this doesn't work consistently? I like Mac OS X. however, I won't be a zealot as they make the same mess of things as Win XP does. Why are ALL the utilities not in the preferences dialog? Do you keep spanners in one room and screw drivers in another? No, they're in one bloomin' box. Get that bit right and I'd give Job's even more money.

sorry. All help with LAN config appreicated. PS is there a way to turn OFF all WEP thingies? I don't use it, jsut doing it by MAC address.

IanCT said:
Use Open Apple + K, and type smb://IPAddress/share
ie: smb://192.168.0.1/c$

It will popup with a domain/workgroup, username, and password text box dialog to authenticate with. Assuming the Windows machine has File sharing turned on.

In some cases you can use the net name of the computer instead of the IP, but that's only if the machine has been running long enough on the network to associate the name with the IP. I just use IP.

r/
-IanCT

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.