Trouble running Age of Empires II on Windows side of Mac computer

Reaction score
I recently bought a Mac because I understood I could run Windows and Mac OS X on the same computer.

I installed Windows XP SP2 on a partition of my iMac's hard drive. So far I can play Civ IV and Sid Meier's Pirates without trouble (okay Civ IV closed unexpectedly on me once). Every time I've tried to play Age of Empires II I get the following message.
"Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw."

So far I reinstalled the Boot Camp drivers for Windows XP. And I reinstalled Age of Empires II. But still I get the same error message.

What's going on here. If Civ IV can initialize the graphics system, why can't Age of Empires II? I've searched this forum and can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem. Any suggestions on what to do or how to troubleshoot this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I recently bought a Mac because I understood I could run Windows and Mac OS X on the same computer.

I installed Windows XP SP2 on a partition of my iMac's hard drive. So far I can play Civ IV and Sid Meier's Pirates without trouble (okay Civ IV closed unexpectedly on me once). Every time I've tried to play Age of Empires II I get the following message.
"Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw."

So far I reinstalled the Boot Camp drivers for Windows XP. And I reinstalled Age of Empires II. But still I get the same error message.

What's going on here. If Civ IV can initialize the graphics system, why can't Age of Empires II? I've searched this forum and can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem. Any suggestions on what to do or how to troubleshoot this?

The Boot Camp drivers aren't the "latest" drivers available for your video card... they are merely "enough" to get you started. Get the latest drivers for your video card direct from nVidia or ATI. You may want to look into doing the same for your audio card. Run dxinfo to check make/model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.