A Few questions so i keep it in one post

Reaction score
First of all I have got Apple Mail to start up when i start my Macbook. Before it use to start up and never opened up the window, now it does how do i stop it opening up the window? (hope you know what i mean here)

secondly what is the best free office suite out there that is quick on the Intel Mac Book?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
NeoOffice is the office alternative that many use. I prefer to pay $79 and buy iWork though...

Reaction score
I prefer iWork as well. It's very, very worth it- especially now that it has Numbers. As far as totally free, NeoOffice is about the only reasonable option, but it does suck a lot of resources.

To get Mail to open but stay hidden at login: Go to System Preferences, click Accounts, select your account (if it isn't already selected), click Login Items, check the box next to Mail that says "hide".

If Mail isn't in the startup items, you can either select the plus sign at the bottom of the window to browse to it and select it, or you can right click or control-click on the mail icon in the Dock and select 'Open at Login'.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First of all I have got Apple Mail to start up when i start my Macbook. Before it use to start up and never opened up the window, now it does how do i stop it opening up the window? (hope you know what i mean here)

Cheers

Check your Login Items. Go under System Preferences => Accounts => click your Login name from the left window pane => Login Items tab.

Anything listed there will automatically start when you start your computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks guys think it sorted now

What about open office?

NeoOffice is OpenOffice with a Mac-style interface integrated into it. The standard version of Open Office requires X11 and is not very Mac-like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yea i second (or third or w/e :p) neooffice. the start up window actually says "bringing the power of openoffice to mac" or something along those lines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.