Understanding how mac calculates HD space...

Reaction score
hi,

still somewhat new to mac, and hoping someone can help me with 2 possibly related issues...

#1- i bought a full .mac account, which should have 10gig. I have practically nothing at all stored on the idisk right now (a few excel files only) and it says i have 4.98 gig available.... what gives?

#2- my 60gig HD has only 2.31 gig left. When i look at "info" of "macintosh HD", it says "capacity 55.57, used 53.26", however when i look specifically at each folder, i cant figure out for the life of me where that 53.26 is being used... my movies is 7.35, music 19.17, pictures 3.56, applications 4.38, documents 39meg. that only totals up to around 35gig.... wheres my other 18 gig?????

Reaction score
Download WhatSize from MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13006), it's free- and it'll tell you where all of the space went. One usual suspect is GarageBand, if you have it installed it carried 2 or 3 gigs of stuff with it. With WhatSize you can locate all of the large folders and remove them if you don't use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
hi,

still somewhat new to mac, and hoping someone can help me with 2 possibly related issues...

#1- i bought a full .mac account, which should have 10gig. I have practically nothing at all stored on the idisk right now (a few excel files only) and it says i have 4.98 gig available.... what gives?

#2- my 60gig HD has only 2.31 gig left. When i look at "info" of "macintosh HD", it says "capacity 55.57, used 53.26", however when i look specifically at each folder, i cant figure out for the life of me where that 53.26 is being used... my movies is 7.35, music 19.17, pictures 3.56, applications 4.38, documents 39meg. that only totals up to around 35gig.... wheres my other 18 gig?????

1. Your 10-gig .mac account is split between your eMail space and your general space. The default is half and half. You can adjust the split on the .mac account page, and you probably should.

2. Open your hard disk and switch it to List view. Then choose View > Show View Options and turn on "Calculate All Sizes." (This may take a while.)
Click on the disclosure triangles as necessary to reveal sub-foolders. And don't forget to empty your Trash.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks a lot guys.

problem #1 - (the .mac idisk) SOLVED.
problem #2 - ongoing.... going right now to try the above suggestions..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.