Parallels -vs- Fusion

Reaction score
Last week I became an Apple fan. :)

I purchased a Macbook Pro and I love it, I should have switched a long long time ago!

I have a question that the guys at the "Genious Bar" could not answer.

I presently have a demo version of Parallels installed on my mac, and it works well. I tried Bootcamp but didn't have good luck as my Windows XP install disk was SP1 only.

I then removed my Bootcamp partition and had Parallels install Windows XP for me. It went very well. I was able to activate my copy of Windows XP with no issues.

My Parallels trial is about the expire. And I am thinking about buying it.

However I was in the Apple store and saw they sold Fusion, and with the rebate it was $20 less then Parallels.

Here are my questions:

1) Which is better Fusion or Parallels?
2) Can Fusion install Windows XP SP1?
3) If I moved to Fusion would I have any trouble activting Windows XP again?

I am thinking I am better off keeping Parallels, it works for me, but I want to make sure I am not missing something with Fusion before ordering Parallels.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Last week I became an Apple fan. :)

I purchased a Macbook Pro and I love it, I should have switched a long long time ago!

I have a question that the guys at the "Genious Bar" could not answer.

I presently have a demo version of Parallels installed on my mac, and it works well. I tried Bootcamp but didn't have good luck as my Windows XP install disk was SP1 only.

I then removed my Bootcamp partition and had Parallels install Windows XP for me. It went very well. I was able to activate my copy of Windows XP with no issues.

My Parallels trial is about the expire. And I am thinking about buying it.

However I was in the Apple store and saw they sold Fusion, and with the rebate it was $20 less then Parallels.

Here are my questions:

1) Which is better Fusion or Parallels?
2) Can Fusion install Windows XP SP1?
3) If I moved to Fusion would I have any trouble activting Windows XP again?

I am thinking I am better off keeping Parallels, it works for me, but I want to make sure I am not missing something with Fusion before ordering Parallels.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. :)

I haven't used Parallels, as I just installed the Eval version of Fusion today.

But according to VMWare, XP Pro SP2 and XP Home SP2 are supported. XP SP1 doesn't look to be supported, unless its a 64-bit copy of XP.

Windows needs to be reactivated whenever a hardware change is detected. So, yes, it needs to be reactivated when you install it on Fusion.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I have never tried Fushion but i use parallels on my macbook and its very good. I have both a copy of windows XP and ubuntu installed within parallels and i can use them both with out any problems and it seems smooth and reliable as if i were just running the OS's straight from the hard drive.

I was so impressed with it that i even deleted windows and bootcamp off my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I don't know why, I really don't, but I prefer Parallels... I find it smoother and...I don't know why. It just feels right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
Hi,

I found a great new video podcast on itunes called macshow & episode 1 is pretty much a debate about fusion V parallels its very interesting great information, It might help you decide.

Reaction score
Check out the reviews of VMWare on the online Apple Store. Almost everybody says it's superior to Parallels.

Much better program support, more stable, easy to use. I would go with VMWare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I've used both Fusion and Parallels and I think Fusion is better.

Moot gave a link to slipstreaming sp2 to XP. I used this process to setup my bootcamp partition and the CD worked great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Fusion will be recognized as a different VM, so XP may not activate without a call to MS.

I use Parallels, and the latest version is pretty strong. Fusion has the advantage of using both cores of your machine, but this means any OS X tasks in the background will be slower. Also, it has (slightly) better DX compatibility.

However, IMO, Parallels is more stable and a more mature product. Since Fusion was released, Parallels updates have been thick and fast.

although this article from MacWorld is from February, 2007 it lists the differences between Vmware's Fusion and Parallels...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/21/vmwarevsparallels/index.php

6 months out of date... Parallels has moved on considerably since then.

Reaction score
I have to agree with most of the posts here...I have tried both and I also feel that Fusion is superior to Parallels.
as for your XP problem...there is a very cool tool called nlite with which you can integrate xp sp2 among other very useful tweaks. I highly recommend nlite but be sure to read tutorials and the help file.

kuchiki

Reaction score
I purchased Fusion just based on my experience administrating VM Infrastructure 3. Being familiar with something in this new MacWorld is very comforting.

Reaction score
I use both. I'd say Parallels is easier to use for basic virtual machines. VMWare is more of a professional grade solution, and it's just recently come out of beta so it's still a version 1 product.

Already most testing shows VMWare to be faster than Parallels, which I think I agree with but it's hard for me to tell and I'd expect future VMWare fusion to really shine over Parallels. My Parallels has issues with external drives and sometimes with sleeping.

I prefer Parallels cohesive mode over VMWare's Unity mode, but again I'd expect VMWare's Unity to improve.

I'd say Parallels for ease of use, VMWare for stability and feature set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.