Start up problem (finder freezes)

Reaction score
I have a G5 system.
The problem is as follows:
Everything looks normal when I start up the system and all my files are there, but as soon as I try to do anything finder freezes and the spinning wheel of doom takes over. There is nothing I can do but restart the computer.
This happens repeatedly.
I figure that I need to reinstall OS X but is there an easier solution?
If I do have to reinstall OS X can I do this without losing all my programs and stored information? Another problem is it won't let me open the disc tray.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Head to Applications>Utilities and run Disk Utilities. You sound like repairing permissions will help to start.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, David James.

Could you give us your G5 model? Be as precise as you can please.

OP
D
Reaction score
G5 model

I can't say I know much about my mac.
It's a G5 Mac Pro with the lowest processor power, 2.5GB of ram and 250GB of harddrive. I got it about a year and a half ago.

OS X 10.4

M

MacHeadCase

It can't be a G5 Mac Pro. A G5 is a PowerPC chip while a Mac Pro is running on an Intel chip.

It's hard for us to try to help if you can't be specific. Best thing for you is to either look it up on Apple's Support website (use the drop down menu on the left sidebar to determine your model and see the topics related to it) or if it is still under warranty, taking it to an Apple Store.

All I can tell you for now is that if it is a Power Mac G5, some models were subjected to recalls.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a G5 Power mac. I got it in February of 2006. The harddrive crashed a couple months after I got it but I haven't had any problems with it until now.

M

MacHeadCase

Look at the Apple Support webpage that I linked you to and select Power Mac G5 from the drop down menu. This will take you to the troubleshooting page related to the Power Mac G5s and in there you should see some links on some recalls in which you will find serial numbers to check and see if your is in the list.

Let us know what you find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.