Video Out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
So.......Apple isn't very clear about this. In the instructional video for the update all he says is you can, not how. I just tried using the video camera cord I use on my ipod video to TV (which works perfectly) and the dock the iPhone came with, and I only get audio....let me guess....you have to buy the over-priced Apple cables/media dock to do this? Figures, the way things are going lately. It's not like I can try plugging into the top of the phone either, as Apple felt the need to make the opening only large enough for their cables...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
Apple changed the pinouts on the connector. Try swapping the red/white/yellow cables and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
You need to buy a cable (currently only from Apple, but 3rd parties will roll some out soon) that connects to the dock. Apple used the extra connector (3rd one of the AV cables) for the Mic so they can't use it for the video out. That's why your cable isn't working.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Wait, so will the standard RCA cable that works on my ipod video work with the dock the iPhone comes with? Because that's what I tried and I even switched the colored connectors and it didnt work. Do I need I enable something on the phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I don't know if it will work with the iPhone dock, but probably will work with the Universal Dock. Make sure that the video out is enabled in Settings > iPod. Also you must have software version 1.1.1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.