Personal File Sharing with another Mac...??

Reaction score
I've been trying to connect with another buddy (we both have macbook pro's) and I'm running into problems. We connected once when we were using the same internet network but now we're trying to connect using two seprate internet connections.

In 'Sharing' we have the 'Personal File Sharing' and 'Remote Login' checked and in Firewall we've tried with it On and Off with no luck. From there we go into the 'Finder' and 'Go->Connect to Server" and type in the af://.... number. It says that its looking for a minute or two then just can connect.

Are we doing something wrong? We also trying doing the FTP access but still couldn't connect. I am on a router at home that is open and I dont believe encypted but he is on an encrypted system at work. Is that why its not working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
There are many things that need to happen. Before you continue, determine what you really intend to do. You have many options depending on how you want to manage the whole thing. Especially the security.

FTP
SSH
AFP
WebDAV

Firewalls will need to be configured and users:passwords will need to be specified.

OP
T
Reaction score
We are doing it so that we can transfer files of projects we're working on (just music and photoshop stuff) without having to upload them to another site and deal with that hassle. So we were trying to figure out how to do it when we arn't on the same network.

Also this won't be permenant so security isn't that big of a deal cause we'll only be connected for a few mins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Then use FTP.

Forward port 21 through your firewall to your Mac. (note your internet ip)

connect from other MBP using an FTP client (I use rbrowser)

IP will be your home internet IP

login with your home username and password.

Your home router should have instructions for port forwarding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.