Windows user thinking of making a MacBook switch

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I'm a VERY long time windows user. By trade I'm a web developer/designer. I'm one of those that actually make a good living at it! I use Adobe CS3 web premium extensively which includes Photoshop and DreamWeaver among other dev programs. They are power hungry. I recently talked to some fellow web developers who use MacBook Pros. I've always been curious about Macs and decided my next notebook will be a Mac. Right now I have a 17" wide screen pc and I like the viewing real estate.

I think that I probably need a MacBook Pro. My question is do I? Also should I get a 15" or 17" screen? I've never worked on a wide screen 15". Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums!

The MacBook Pro would be great. The 15" model would be my choice. The 17" is nice in the viewing department, but it's borderline to big to carry around. It's more of a desktop replacement.

I have a MacBook (see my sig) and it runs CS3 just fine. The only issue is the screen size. I love it for portability, but it is small for productivity work in CS3.

Of course you will have the ability to hook either machine up to a larger desktop monitor if you so desire.

The major difference is in the video RAM department. The MacBook uses shared RAM, whereas the Pro uses a dedicated video card with dedicated RAM.

It's not really an issue as CS3 isn't a 3D intensive software set.

You will also be able to run Windows on your new Mac if you still need it for certain applications. That's a nice feature if you still want to be a slave to Microsoft. ;D

The best advice I can offer is to buy the best machine you can justifiably afford. If that's the Pro, I'd go for it. If you don't want to spend the extra cash, the MacBook will suffice. I would recommend two gigs of RAM if you decide to go with the MacBook.

Hit your nearest Apple store (or the website) and check out the differences between the two machines before you make your decision.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I'll save for the MacBook pro. I'm still leaning towards the 17" screen. I rarely have to travel with it so it is, as you say, more of a desktop replacement.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, dannyj.

If you want to use it as a desktop replacement and are not thinking of portability, why not simply go for the iMac? Costs less, you'd get more screen real estate and for the price is very hard to beat quality-wise.

Reaction score
Have you considered an iMac? It's a LOT more computer and it's quite a bit less than a MacBook Pro.

edit: Bah, MHC beat me to it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If screen size is a concern, then you should also consider an external display.

Of course, if travel weight is not a concern, then money is the only question.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great and quick response. I do like to sit on the couch with my notebook and do work at the end of the day so I think it needs to be a MacBook or a MacBook pro...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
If you're heavy into graphics, it's a Pro issue, no question. I chose a MacBook because my "creative outlet" is pretty much text-based. I write. I don't have a need to manipulate vast complex images and render 3D models of Mt. Everest at a 1:1 ratio or anything, so the graphics card won't hinder me. I'm also not a gamer. Plus, you'll need a large screen and as of now, 13.3" is all the real estate you can get for couch-computing on a MacBook. If you've got the money and the inclination, pony up for a Pro. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I too am a new switcher (only last week!) & I thought long & hard about macbook V imac....eventually I decided as I have no real need for use on the go to go for imac & I have to say..WOW I love it, I only opted for 20" but compared to what im used to its massive! im glad I didn't go for 24" in the end my eyes are still adjusting to this one!

OP
D
Reaction score
You all are great! Thanks for the help. I do a lot of work sitting back on the couch or on my porch so I don't need much mobility but just enough to get away from a desk!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.