''burn'' on lcd?

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if lcd screens are prone to having ''burned'' area the same as the CRT screen?
I'm playing Battlefield but there is no wide screen support so it leaves two black bars on each side... I was wondering if it could burn out the screen or is it not an issue with lcd?

thanks

Reaction score
My wife's Dell Ultrasharp is getting burned-in areas on the screen. I don't know if they're "prone" to it, I know by example that they do have the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Hi
I was wondering if lcd screens are prone to having ''burned'' area the same as the CRT screen?
I'm playing Battlefield but there is no wide screen support so it leaves two black bars on each side... I was wondering if it could burn out the screen or is it not an issue with lcd?

thanks

I don't see any problem with it. The classic burn in images were a CRT era problem and even then it would only happen after years of static screens, probably not something your average video game is going to generate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i have it on my 23 inch apple cinema display, you can see some burn marks from finder when i have another screen open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
i have it on my 23 inch apple cinema display, you can see some burn marks from finder when i have another screen open.

Hmm... That is no good. Still, I think a lot of desktops would sit idle with the finder icon in the same place a lot longer than someone playing a video game. I don't think the video game is going to be on long enough to burn something into the monitor but gee, I guess you never know! haha

I just tell the monitor to go to screen saver after 5 mins...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
LCD screens are not subject to "burn in" the way CRT and plasma displays are. They can however, be subject to what is called "image persistence". It is rare for LCD's to even show this effect unless an image is left onscreen for many hours. The good news is that with LCD's, unlike CRT's and plasma screens, if you do have some effects of image persistence, more often than not it can be corrected.

Here is an article I found referencing this phenomenon. This one is a quick and simple read and gives mention to the methods of eliminating any image persistence you may be experiencing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good read Bob, thanks for the URL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.