Potential Switcher Incoming!

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Hello one and all!

I'm popping into town later today, which just so happens to have an Apple Store. I'll be 'having a look' at the MacBook Pros.

I'm sure you all probably recognise 'having a look' as the early stages of 'walking out of the shop with...' but I digress.

I have a couple of queries about my potential purchase :)

1. One of the things that causes me hesitation is 'only' having the 1 year warranty. For something that'll cost me nigh-on £2,000 when I factor in the software, I can't help but wonder if 1 year isn't long enough. Would you advise going for the AppleCare Protection Plan? Is it necessary? Will I need to use it?

2. The Battery. From experience of working in the PC field, I see so so many laptops that are abused when it comes to their battery. People leave them plugged into their mains supply constantly; first the battery 'dies', so they HAVE to use it plugged in, and then the charging circuit. How could I best look after a MBP battery?

3. Boot Camp. I'm toying with the idea of Boot Camp (as I bet many potential switchers do). If it's something I decide to hold off on for a couple of months and then decide to implement it, would I lose my data/settings/anything I've 'done' in OSX when I go for it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.) It's a gamble. It would be very unlikely that anything would go wrong with your Mac after only 12 months, but as with anything electrical it's always a tiny possibility.
You don't have to go with Applecare - there are other warranty firms out there.

2.) I don't know as I don't have a laptop, but I understand the battery is no different from any PC laptop out there.

3.) If you install Windows on it, your OS X partition and anything on it will be completly unaffected, whenever you decide to put Boot Camp on.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the reply. I forgot one other thing. Is it possible to purchase Apple Care later, or does it have to be with the machine?

Oh! and does an MBP come with iLife 08? :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Electronics warranties are really a matter of personal preference - I have purchased a warranty on only one piece of equipment during the last 50 odd years. And, I was lucky as it has been the only time I would have used it. Think I just had a feeling about that brand when I bought it.

If I had purchased extended warranties on all the electronics, cars, etc. that I have purchased, I would currently be out many thousands of dollars that were never taken advantage of.

As for the extended warranties on electronics - how long do you keep a computer - until it dies? - or until the next new one catches your fancy? But you do have throughout the year of new warranty to make that decision - so you don't have to do it now.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input :)

It's just come to my attention that a store in the same town offers a 2 year guarantee (John Lewis) so I might have a look up there and see.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid. But, (touchwood), I've never had to use a warranty. It just seems that a 1 year one is comparatively low.

I will be going back to university in the coming year so will really want the MBP to last throughout my time there, I suppose. Just buying it early due to claiming for business expeses whilst I'm still working :)

Though I do have quite a severe case of Gadget Acquisition Syndrome, whereby I get an inkling for a new toy and.. well.. this happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
One factor to remember about Applecare is that they not only support the machine for three years, but also the installed Apple software as well. Although I have never had the fortune (or misfortune) to use Applecare, it is comfortating to me to know that Apple makes the machine, Apple makes most of the software on the machine, and Applecare is there to cover all of it for a full three years. Just a thought that may help you making up your mind.
Cam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I look at it this way. My Macbook is my own personal computer, and I absolutely depend on it even if I do have other computer resources upon which to call. It's a portable computer, thus it gets transported all over the place so stuff can happen. The tolerances within these beasts are very small, and the potential for something to happen is kinda higher than what you'd get with, say, a washing machine.

So I got AppleCare. Used it too on a couple of occasions (well, actually it's within its one year warrantee, but still.) You have AppleCare, you can call and tell them to jump and they'll ask how high. I like that for my own personal kit.

For corporate stuff and issued equipment, that's one thing. But for my own personal machine I want this investment (which someone will call me out on, since computers depreciate pretty quickly though Macs don't quite so much) to last me the life of the machine. I'm going to have to live with this thing for awhile before upgrade time comes. I don't want the logic board or HD to die before it's time for me to get the latest über cool computer from Apple. I may need to depend upon it during times 'between jobs' or for other things that one uses a computer for. I use the heck out of my computer. So I insured it.

As for your other questions:

The battery - is eventually going to die. Don't worry about that, you can get a new one. It's like a cat in some ways. I keep mine plugged in and charged for the most part because I know there's circuitry keeping it appropriately charged and it'll work for me when it needs to.

Bootcamp/windows - stay away from anything Windows for as long as you can. I found there are few things I need Windows for, and although I have Parallels installed with a Windows VM available, I mostly use it to show people that it is possible. Get used to the Mac OS, and doing things 'the Mac way'. It's not painful, you'll learn more about how it all works, and it will free you from the tyranny of Microsoft. Yes, tyranny. Those bastids claim they're trying to 'innovate for the customer', but really they're trying to innovate ¢¢¢, $$$, and a bunch of quid out of the customer's wallet. Apple is doing the same, really, but they're efforts aren't nearly as onerous.
Windows is available as an option if you need it. You won't need it, and need to experience first-hand why and how you don't.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input guys, and apologies for not replying sooner but I've been quite busy :)

Made it into town, amidst the CHAOS.. Saturday shopping, yuck. Not to mention going to an Apple Store the day the new Touch comes out. Good move :)

Still, once I grabbed hold of someone and said I wanted to buy, they made time for me, showed me a few tricks, answered all my questions. I was generally very impressed with the staff in the store even though they were COMPLETELY swamped. It was honestly heaving - there were at least 3 people to every iPod or Mac or spec of dust on the floor.

So now I'm the proud owner of a 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, Glossy Screen, and I've been tinkering ever since I got home.

With a friend to hand to answer my little queries ("how do I make the file view more like a list?" - he tells me - "Oh, that's, insanely simple" "yes, Macs are!")

Regarding the AppleCare, my one hesitancy was spending all the money all at once. So I will be purchasing it toward the end of this year when this initial outlay has gone down somewhat :)

I picked up a slipcase thing for it, and iWork 08 which I haven't even had a chance to install yet.

Mostly just been copying my files/music over and getting used to the general interface which, surprisingly, is happening a lot more easily than I thought.

Regarding Bootcamp. When I won't have access to a PC, that's when I'll put Windows on I think - just in case there ever is that chance I need the compatibility. For now, I still have my home PC too. Like you say, the only way to learn is to do. I was just a bit overly scared I suppose. I'm already thinking to myself how much easier it is to double click a window to minimise it and get it out the way, for instance :)

And how cute is Adium? Loving it :D

Thanks for everything guys :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Congrats on the new toy sprite.

Make sure to check out eric's sticky in the switcher hangout for lots of tips and tricks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.