Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device

Reaction score
Yes, you do need to eject USB and Firewire devices. You can either grab the icon on your desktop and drag it to the trash, click the "eject" symbol next to it in Finder, right-click/control-click on the desktop and select "eject", or highlight it on the desktop and hit command + E.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
"USB Mass Storage Devices" (usually USB flash drives or external hard drives) will show up on the Desktop as an icon.

To eject, either:

-right-click the icon on the Desktop and select Eject

-drag the icon to the Trash (the Trash icon will become an Eject icon)

-in a Finder window's sidebar, click the Eject symbol next to that drive's name

Note that unlike on Windows, when you eject a USB flash drive that has an "on" light, the light will remain on.

OP
V
Reaction score
Note that unlike on Windows, when you eject a USB flash drive that has an "on" light, the light will remain on.

Yeh, that's why I was feeling unsure as to whether or not it has been disconnected.

Thanks remain.

To extend on this topic, does anyone know how to reconnect the device without physically replugging it?

eg. Once you've ejected it, how do you remount it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open disc utility, select the device and click "Mount".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open disc utility, select the device and click "Mount".

Good one Baggss. I am shocked how few people I know actually know that and unplug and re-plug which can be a pain.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Once you eject the device, it disappears from Disk Utility.

It keeps Firewire drives there for sure. Just tried it. My iPod Nano though did disappear though.

Edit: Ok update, All Hard Drives do stay in the Disc Utility Menu and you can click Mount. Flash Drives and my Nano go away. At first I thought it was anything USB but my USB 2.0 external Hard Drives stay in Disc Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.