Whats a good linux OS for PPC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I am trying to find a good Linux OS for my mac (as I need to learn it). Ubuntu and Fedora have no support for my audio drivers so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a good Linux OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Yellow Dog Linux is a name that always comes up with mention of PPC distros. Check out distrowatch.org for more, but Yellow Dog is the first that comes to mind. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I had success with Yellowdog on older PPCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Suse Linux is also a good option for PPC

Reaction score
Majority of the time you can get anything to work if you're willing to spend the time on it. You said Fedora did not have drivers, but Yellow Dog Linux is based on Red Hat which itself is based on Fedora.
Just because the default installation does not support your audio, there might still be drivers out there that you can download and install manually.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'll have to look into SuSe as well as Yellow Dog. Probably take a full day to download though. Unless,of course, I find a Driver for my sound card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For G5s at least, most of the existing Linux distros for PPC have no drivers for the fans, resulting in them running full blast (VERY noisy). This may or may not be a consideration for your G4 - I don't know them well enough to be sure, so I thought I would bring it up so you could look at it.

Reaction score
how about simply mepis linux this was created ON a mac so chances are there will be default drivers. I like to think of Linux as a product that is 90-95% complete and YOU have to complete the rest, I think that is kinda fun... or is it? Knoppix is hailed as the swiss army knife of linux distros, I have not found one computer that it does not run properly. Or try Kubuntu Xubuntu, for older machines.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how about simply mepis linux this was created ON a mac so chances are there will be default drivers. I like to think of Linux as a product that is 90-95% complete and YOU have to complete the rest, I think that is kinda fun... or is it? Knoppix is hailed as the swiss army knife of linux distros, I have not found one computer that it does not run properly. Or try Kubuntu Xubuntu, for older machines.

SimplyMepis and Knoppix are not PPC Based(unless I missed something on the sites). Thanks For the info on Xubuntu.I'll look into it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.