External DVD Burner

Reaction score
Well, I might just the dumbest guy in the world. just purchased a new mac book, less than a month ago, i thought the combo drive was a dvd burner, i was surprised to find out tonight that while trying to make a dvd in idvd i couldnt actaully burn a dvd. quite disapointing. well, my question is what external dvd burners are people using, and do they were seemlessly with idvd.

i saw the one on the apple site, but alot alot alot of people had complaints in the review sections about them crappin out pretty quickly.

Thanks, in advance to any help you guys give.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Lacie DL with lightscribe, it's super fast and you can burn labels if you like.

Reaction score
Fully agree with Whatup - I've had my La Cie for over a year and it's excellant . My internal burner can be a bit finicky, aborting a burn with Medium error messages, yet with the same (best quality Sony) discs, it burns happily every time.

OP
W
Reaction score
I did some research and found that some people are buying an internal superdrive for a Mac Pro, and then just buying a case for it. Anyone have ne opinions on going that route.

I've talked to a few people who agreed with majority of the comments on the mac website about the burner you guys reccomended. How long have you had it? Alot of people said they stopped working after a year, right after the warranty was up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Although my MBP has a DVD burner, I prefer using my external Pioneer because it is faster. Also it can read some DVD movies the internal can't. Anyway, I originally bought it for my tower, but pulled it from that and placed it into a firewire case I had. Works great.

Reaction score
memorex part# 3202 3223... has lightscribe too and is pretty fast... its what I'll be using to install leopard on my ibook lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I haven't had my Lacie external burner for a year. I have had my external Lacie HD for over a year and have had no problems with that. I am now considering purchasing a Lacie 1TB external now that the prices keep falling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I have the LaCie d2; probably for the best part of 18 months. It's never had one failed burn until recently, but I'd just changed from PowerMac G4 to MBP, I went from USB to FireWire (my FW ports didn't work on the G4), and I updated the drive's firmware all at about the same time, so I can't say where the problem lies.

It might be crapped out, it might be a dodgy cable/port, it might me something on the Mac thats catching it out, it might be a bad firmware flash... my MBP has an internal DVD writer now though, so to be honest I can't be bothered with the hassle of finding out!

It was 110% perfect until recently though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.