Changing the drive I boot from...

Reaction score
Anyone out there know how I go about switching the internal drive I boot from? I'm installing a new internal drive, cloning my old drive over, and will be using the new drive from now on while keeping stuff I'm not afraid of losing on the old one.

Cloning seems a lot simpler than reinstalling all my software onto a blank one.

My new drive has more capacity than my original and I've been reading advice that suggests cloning a smaller drive onto a larger one leaves the remaining extra gigabytes unusable. Is this true?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Cloning your drive to a new, larger drive will not render the extra space unusable. If you do it right, you'll have a drive that's exactly like the one you have now; but with extra space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My new drive has more capacity than my original and I've been reading advice that suggests cloning a smaller drive onto a larger one leaves the remaining extra gigabytes unusable. Is this true?

No, it's not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
The answer to your question is go into System Preferences --> Startup Disk, then select which drive you want to use as your startup disk.

Recommendation:
1. Buy an external enclosure for your old harddrive.
2. Place your NEW drive inside the enclosure and clone your old drive to the new drive. I highly recommend Super Duper!
3. With the new drive still in the enclosure, reboot from the NEW drive to ensure everything is working properly.
4. Choose your new Startup Disk. Then Shut Down.
5. Take NEW drive out of enclosure and replace in your computer.
6. Boot up. You may have to reselect your startup disk.
7. If everything is working fine, format your old drive and use as additional storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.