Streaming Music From Airport Extreme Base Station?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
I have a MacBook with a 60gig HDD and I was told to try and keep it as free as everything as i could..

I was wondering if I buy a Airport instead of using my wireless modem I have now and connect an external HDD can i just store all my music and files on it and open iTunes as normal and stream it , upload to my iPod ect?

I have about 20gig of music.. Im not too familiar with Airports so any help would be great!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
From what I understand, the drive attached to the airport extreme would just be the place where you would want to tell iTunes to store your music library. If you start using devices to "share" music back to your MacBook you will be able to listen to the music but not sync it with your iPod from the MacBook.

So what I am saying is there is a difference between an attached storage volume and a media sharing device or service. Use the drive as an attached storage volume and you should be fine.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok so what would I do if I want to sync to my iPod?

Unplug my ext HDD and plug it into my MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Oh ok so what would I do if I want to sync to my iPod?

Unplug my ext HDD and plug it into my MacBook?

No you shouldn't have to, the drive should be available to you form the airport extreme just like it would be if plugged in to your Mac. I am not sure about the airport extreme but some NAS devices and broadband routers that allow external drives can also function is "media servers". Just use the attached drive as a mounted volume and forget about terms like "streaming". You aren't streaming, just storing music on the drive.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok cool thank you so much!

Reaction score
Can you give some more sample question and answers. How great your info is! It really useful for me. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can you give some more sample question and answers. How great your info is! It really useful for me. Thanks.

That post was from two years ago! However, you can find more great information by using the forum search function and also by reading the "stickies" which are posted at the beginning of each forum.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.