Who saw this coming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
so, i want to update my phone, and what can i do? uninstall the apps i have, and be prepared to lose the ringtones i made myself?

I don't see why ringtones would be lost/disabled, at least with the ones put on through iTunes rather than the hack programs, but I haven't seen anything on them one way or the other. If the ringtone files you made are just like the ones paid for, they shouldn't bee affected I think. That would probably have to be something Apple would deliberately go after by making an update to check your purchase history against the ringtone files on your phone and delete any discrepancies.

If Apple's not going to help keep these programs going, then they need to get off their butts and start making some apps themselves. What's the use of having OS X on your mobile if you can't take advantage of it's ability?

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I don't see why ringtones would be lost/disabled, at least with the ones put on through iTunes rather than the hack programs, but I haven't seen anything on them one way or the other. If the ringtone files you made are just like the ones paid for, they shouldn't bee affected I think. That would probably have to be something Apple would deliberately go after by making an update to check your purchase history against the ringtone files on your phone and delete any discrepancies.

If Apple's not going to help keep these programs going, then they need to get off their butts and start making some apps themselves. What's the use of having OS X on your mobile if you can't take advantage of it's ability?

My point exactly. It's like having macbook and not be able to install anything on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
yea, but the ringtones i made the first time THIS way, became disabled within 24 hours with an update of itunes (7.4.1), hence why i havent updated itunes get to 7.4.2 or whatever it is... because it changed it again, or so we are thinking...

sigh. I honestly of all things, just wish i could change the colors of things (like i changed the unlock slider and the wifi signal and the wallpaper behind the springboard) those are so simple things, you can do stuff like that in almost every other phone ive had! "themes" yeaaaaaa! what the heck apple! i mean im looking at my screen now and evvverything is customized with shapeshifter and candybar and all those wonderful apps that make my mac unique for me!

why cant my iphone be like that too :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My point exactly. It's like having macbook and not be able to install anything on it.

Then you have 4 choices:

1) Live with it.

2) Dump the iPhone and get another Smart phone that allows you to do more with it.

3) Do what you want and take your chances.

4) Live with it.

Your analogy would be good if the OSX desktop version was locked down. It's not. Your analogy is a bad one for reasons I have already painstakingly explained to you. So you are left with the above choices. Whining about it is not going to do any good and your not gong to get much sympathy.

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Then you have 4 choices:

1) Live with it.

2) Dump the iPhone and get another Smart phone that allows you to do more with it.

3) Do what you want and take your chances.

4) Live with it.

Your analogy would be good if the OSX desktop version was locked down. It's not. Your analogy is a bad one for reasons I have already painstakingly explained to you. So you are left with the above choices. Whining about it is not going to do any good and your not gong to get much sympathy.

Sorry, i forgot. No grievances allowed against Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I like my iPhone. The darn thing has been out less than a year. Give it some time. Apps will eventually come out. Apple has a lot more going on than it did even a few years ago product-wise. Things take time to get right. A year from now, I would imagine the threads will be more along the line of "should I buy this or that (supported iPhone application)". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

No it isn't. The iPhone is a completely different device with a different EULA and warranty, you cannot compare them. The iPhone is designed to work as Apple delivered it to you. The MacBook is a general purpose computer with no such restrictions. Each device has an EULA and warranty that indicates this.

Modifying the iPhones firmware is again the EULA and voids the warranty, in exactly the same way that wiring a cup-warmer to my MacBook would. This "unofficial iPhone Developer Group" (or whatever they call themselves) are aiding people in breaking their iPhone EULAs and voiding their warranties, it's very simple.

Nice comeback. I have plenty of greivances against Apple, of various kinds, as do many others here, but them taking steps to enforce the license agreements of ther products isn't one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

View it however you like. The bottom line is, no one made you purchase the product except you. Quit trying to place the blame on Apple when you knew this was a possibility up front. Does it suck? Sure, but that's life sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Here's a solution proposedin MacWorld... the 1.1.1 update (as well as 1.0.2) is optional. ie: you can choose not to install them and your phone will still work. If you don't want them and the impacts they will cause to your 3rd party hacks, don't install them. Pretty much a no brainer. That kills 2 problems: whining that the update sucks, and whining that 3rd party apps don't work anymore. Problem solved. You're welcome.
Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.