Getting images to show up in Dreamweaver

D

dziner

Here's a question that is non-platform specific (I think)...

We are using Dreamweaver here at work (on PCs) to design html emails. Three of us work on a local(internal) server to create the pages, then we ftp the artwork to our webserver, change the paths to the images to reflect full url paths:

Code:
http://www.oursite.com/webemaildirectory/images/image.gif

Somehow I set something up within my site settings that allows Dreamweaver to display the images even when the direct site paths are inserted instead of just the local path. When I try to set up the other computers to match my settings they show up as broken images.

My local root folder is set up as:

Code:
M:\Our Work\EmailServer\webemaildirectory\

and the http address is:

Code:
http://www.oursite.com/webemaildirectory/

The images show up for me but not for anyone else. Even after I copy my settings and enter them exactly as I have them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work? It's a pain in the butt to work on a site in WYSIWYG mode without being able to see the images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Why do you not use a base href and just upload everything up to the server in the beginning?

Or like you said, you can set it up in Dreamweaver for a local and remote copy, but it sounds like you have done that.. and as long as you have everything correct.. it should work.. I wish I had better advice on this one :(

OP
D

dziner

We develop the html pages on the local server, make sure the images are uploaded, correct the image paths to be full url paths, then we copy the html from Dreamweaver and past into a web based app (3rd party email company) which send the html email to thousands of people and also handles bounced addresses, unsubscribe, tracking, etc. The html doesn't actually get uploaded to the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Right, I understand that, I've done a bit of html mailing myself, but just to friends and my clients :) I meant upload the images to the server and use the base href to view them, although.. now that I think about it.. I do not think dreamweaver has the ability to view online images.. so that wouldnt work.

It's definitely a settings thing and that is something extremely hard to troubleshoot online like this.. and again you said you have everything the same, same settings, same images in the exact same place, everything the same on the other computers.. but obviously there is something missing.. and you are sure they can access the images from wherever they are?

OP
D

dziner

Yes indeed. Both systems are working on the site on the same server, same setting, etc. It IS difficult to figure this one out.

Hmmm... I seem to remember someone setting up Dreamweaver with the remote site as the local site (or something like that) so that it does show the images in Dreamweaver. Hmmm... time to keep digging.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.