More IP addresses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4: 1.5GHz, 1g RAM, 80g HD
Hi,
I have a comcast wireless modem hooked up to an Airport Extreme. The
problem i am having is that the Comcast box only gives out 5 IP addresses,
but my Airport Extreme can give out 50 IP's. So my question is: How can i bypass the comcast box so that the IP's are coming from the Airport Extreme? Could i disable the wireless part of the Comcast box?
Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Even thought the extreme can give out 50 ip addresses it only uses one ip address with the isp (comcast). Basically the router (extreme) will get an ip address from comcast, then assign internal ip addresses to your computers. The ip that my macbook has is not the same as my external ip address what my internet provider has given me. If your comcast box is also a wireless router you should be able to disable the wireless portion and use the extreme as your wireless router.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4: 1.5GHz, 1g RAM, 80g HD
ya that is basically what i want to do...the problem is we have more than 5 things that need to be on the network....so basically, if i disable the wireless portion of the comcast box (which i cant figure out how to) will that give me more IP addresses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes. Disable the wireless portion of the Comcast box and plug the wired portion (WAN/LAN) into the Airport. Then allow the Airport to assign the internal IP addresses to all of the other devices on the wireless network.

This all assumes that a) you even CAN disable the wireless part of the Comcast box and b) it has a WAN/LAN output that you can plug into the Airport.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.