iPod Classic issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, so I've been reading over at iLounge and I'm hearing a lot of whining coming from the masses about issues with the iPod Classic. There seems to be three main issues:

1) iTunes Crashes or locks up when the iPod is plugged in.

2) The iPod menus are slow/sluggisg.

3) Issues with play-count & ratings when used in conjunction with playlists.

Now, I could care less about #3, I suspect #2 is relative based on the number of folks complaining, but #1 is what I am wondering about.

I don't think any of them are seeing this on a Mac, they all seem to be on Windows boxes. What I want to know is has anyone here seen or read about any iTunes / iPod Classic issues like #1 on the Mac side. I'm not seeing much about it that is Mac specific around the web, but I'm wondering if anyone else is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I haven't had any iTunes crashes, but then I don't plug it in very often. The speed is relative, I think, and is mostly caused by the hard disk starting up and being accessed. The firmware update improved menu speed overall but the hard disk delay isn't going to go away, it's the nature of HD storage.

I don't look at or use play counts and ratings so I don't know about that.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know. I'll probably pick one up in the next few weeks and just want to get a better idea of what Mac users are seeing. Thanks.

Reaction score
I don't have a iPod Classic, but I did just get a new Nano (I sync it with my Macbook), which runs the same new interface as the Classic, and I haven't had any of problems you listed, although I haven't really messed around with ratings, so I can't say for sure about problem #3.

Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is my first ipod... I have the 80GB Classic and have not had any itunes crashes or lock-ups. The unit seems speedy to me, but I really have nothing to compare it to.

As to #3 on your list... I have no clue as I don't use counts or ratings.

Reaction score
I recently bought the 80 gb ipod classic. I am having #1 &2. My itunes will run just fine on my dell PC and then i just plug the ipod and the fan kicks on and the whole computer lags. It is very annoying and i'm not to impressed with this being my first iPod. I would love to mess with it more, but it becomes too much of a hassle. The menus do get pretty slow alsol, but i love the new features of this ipod. I hope i can at least find a solution for #1 or else i may be taking it back.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but is it a problem on iTunes on the Mac?

Reaction score
I have not really had any problems that are really worth mentioning except with play counts syncing correctly. Friday night, I updated my 160GB classic to the latest firmware released that same night.

Saturday afternoon, I played several hours worth of music before going to work. After work, I synced the ipod and not one song that I played on Saturday afternoon showed up in the recently played and the play counts for those songe didn't increase.

I have heard that there is a bug that is preventing play counts from updating either before or after playing a game on the iPod. Well, on Friday night, I purchased two games, Ms. Pac-man and Tetris and I played them awhile.

So just now, I did a test. I played a game of Ms. Pac-man, then played one song. I synced and that song showed on my recently played songs and the time was also correct.

I then played several songs, played Ms. Pac-man again, played a few more songs, then played Ms. Pac-man again, this time while listening to a song. I synced after the game ended and the song ended. Everything synced correctly. Ok so it seems that this bug has been fixed, the updating works correctly while playing a game and listening to music at the same time.

Now why didn't the iPod update to show all the music that I listened to Saturday afternoon? There are still a few bugs after updating to the lastest release. Computer I am using with this iPod is a two year old HP 3.0GHZ running XP and 2GB ram.

I don't have any problems with iTunes freezing and my iPod doesn't freeze up either. Just the weird play counts thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.