iPod classic as music and photo backup drive

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a iPod classic 160Gb to use as a backup drive for all my music and digital photos. Currently I have about 90Gb of music and 25Gb of photos, so I'd be using up most of the iPod. My idea would be to sync this up as a backup drive, not using it on a regular basis as an iPod. I have a 16Gb touch which I use daily as my player, and it has plenty of music on it to keep me going.

I would, however, like to take my whole collection away with me when I'm, for example, going away on a two week holiday. That is the reason for using an iPod rather than an external drive.

Is this a viable option? Can I set the classic to store the full size version of my photos? I know I can use programs like senuti to get the music back off the iPod should I need to perform a data recovery, but does it do the same for my full size photos?

What does everyone think? Is this sensible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.