Leopard Question reference G5 dp1.8ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8ghz , 32 gig Memory, Nvidia Quadro Pro FX 5600 1.5 gig vram.. 2009 iMac
Hey people I have a question. I have a dual G5 1.8ghz powermac with 8gigs of ram a nvidia 6800 DDL gt 256vram with a 500gig main drive and a 300gig second. I also have a G5 iMac 20in 2.1 ghz with isight with 2.5gigs of ram. a local mac rep said I might need to upgrade for leopard. he even offer a trade of both of these machines for a mac book pro core duo 2.16ghz. my question is will my current setup last me a few more years or should I just upgrade to keep up with the flow or technology. and as far as the 64bit leopard with my current machines be alright is there a future for ppc or will the intel stuff prevails and leave the ppc stuff as just paper weights. just wondering thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Leopard should run better than smooth on those machines. In fact, its a tad bit faster than Tiger on a similar config. You have more than enough RAM and CPU power to last you at least another two years.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8ghz , 32 gig Memory, Nvidia Quadro Pro FX 5600 1.5 gig vram.. 2009 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The rumour is PPC support by Apple will be phased out around the time of 10.6 That's still a long time away. Even if it's true. So I agree with the above poster. Your 2 G5's still have a lot of life left in them. For a few years yet. And even after that they can still last even if apple don't support them.

I have an imac G3 with 10.3 And sure it can't do a few of the modern things but it's great for as a server/2nd machine in a pinch. So I think your 2 machines would be good in a certain capacity for I'd say 3-5 years.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the entering of intel chips make PPC chips a thing of the distance past and all the great thing said about PPC chips and OsX a lie. Does using the intel chip make the mac just another PC. And the marketing blitz removes all memory of the risc processors superiority and places the mac front row center of cisc processor fog.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The rumour is PPC support by Apple will be phased out around the time of 10.6 That's still a long time away. Even if it's true. So I agree with the above poster. Your 2 G5's still have a lot of life left in them. For a few years yet. And even after that they can still last even if apple don't support them.

I have an imac G3 with 10.3 And sure it can't do a few of the modern things but it's great for as a server/2nd machine in a pinch. So I think your 2 machines would be good in a certain capacity for I'd say 3-5 years.

Thank you Sir
All this marketing in support of the New Intel macs kind of got me worried

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Does the entering of intel chips make PPC chips a thing of the distance past and all the great thing said about PPC chips and OsX a lie. Does using the intel chip make the mac just another PC. And the marketing blitz removes all memory of the risc processors superiority and places the mac front row center of cisc processor fog.

A lie? No. Good marketing? Perhaps.

The phase out of PPC support in 10.6 is only a rumor and mere speculation with no basis from Apple that I have found as of yet. In many ways the PPC is still a better chip architecture than x86/Intel, but the folks who make it don't give 2 hoots about the desktop market so Apple switched to a chip maker who does. In the end, the consumer wins.

Yes, with an Intel chip, the Mac IS just another PC, with some minor differences. Then again, even with the PPC, the Mac just another PC with minor differences as well. After all, it's OSX that makes the real difference.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I like the PPC Chip, But I guess Technology Must move on.
"If there is gonna be a bold new world how will they get pass fools like me Capt Kirk "undiscovered Country" "

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.