• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting small DVD's to i-movie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
A friend has offered me a job editing his home movies which is great news as I have been looking for work for some time now.

I know i-movies inside out and know exactly what he wants, the problem is that the 8hrs of footage he wants condensed into a 1 or 2 hr movie are on 16 half hour mini DVD's.

I have only ever edited importing from DV camcorder and have no idea how to edit using mini DVD's.

I have a demo version of the Hawkeye software but have yet to suss it out, though do I even need that?

I guess there must be a way to import each mini DVD as a Quicktime file then move into the i-movie window frame.

Please help,

Many thanks

CR

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I have a 15" MacBook Pro and I agree, I don't think it will take the minis as it's slot in but my friend seems to think otherwise.

Very important I get this clarified before trying it out I guess.

PS, just had a look at the link, I don't have a credit card and I'm in Bangkok so no idea how I will do it if I need to buy it... Could I do the job with the demo version?

I guess I will also have to take my MBP somewhere with WiFi capability, can't get internet in my apartment unfortunately.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
DO NOT put a Mini CD/DVD in that slot. It will not work and could get stuck ruining the drive. You can NOT use Mini DVD's or Mini CD's in a Slot Load drive. Do a search here on Mac Forums and you will see others who tried and failed. Your friend is wrong.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
^ Thanks - I thought as much, luckily I haven't been stupid enough to try.

Anyway, this begs the question - how can it be done?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
^ Thanks - I thought as much, luckily I haven't been stupid enough to try.

Anyway, this begs the question - how can it be done?

The only way I can think of 2AM in the morning is an External Tray Loading Firewire or USB 2.0 DVD drive plugged into the Mac.

There is supposed to be some adapter that you insert the Mini Disc into and then into the Slot drive but I have never seen nor worked with one.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Are there shops out there that could do the conversion for me?

Ideally I would like them converted into Quicktime files that I could simply upload to i-movie.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I have just found out that it can't be done without considerable loss of quality, but it can be done on a SONY.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Pop the mini discs in an external USB DVD drive (tray loading), then rip the DVD videos to your hard drive using Handbrake or similar. Import ripped files to imove then edit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have just found out that it can't be done without considerable loss of quality, but it can be done on a SONY.
I doubt that. You'll need to explain why you think that is true.

If the DVDs are the type playable on a regular DVD player, than use software that can preferable rip to a full size QuickTime format or DV format. Something that iMovie can understand. Otherwise search the forums for 'video convert' and you'll find some free possiblities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.
How about capturing the footage from a regular DVD player? I do this in Final Cut with great success, just get a capture box, plug your DVD player into it (RGB preferably) run a Fire wire out to you computer and start capturing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.