Mac Mail or Entourage??

Reaction score
Hello All,
I just recently received my first Mac Book Pro. As a new Mac user, I have been trying to find all the best programs to use on it. I have installed Microsoft Office 2004 and noticed that it came with a mail program called Entourage. I didn't know if anyone out there has had much experience with both and which one they would recommend. I am currently using Mac Mail because I set it up right away not realizing that Entourage was actually a mail program.

Thanks,
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
MAc Mail is easier to use and has a more user-friendly interface (IMO). I only use Entourage if I needed to send something to my school (Windows Users) /shudder.

Reaction score
You'll probably want to go with Apple Mail on your MacBook Pro. Entourage is (currently) not a Universal Binary. Apple Mail, of course, runs natively on Intel Macs.

The previous comment stately that they only use Entourage to send email to Windows users. I'm not sure what they mean by that; Apple Mail can- of course- send email and attachments to anyone- Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.

OP
D
Reaction score
You'll probably want to go with Apple Mail on your MacBook Pro. Entourage is (currently) not a Universal Binary. Apple Mail, of course, runs natively on Intel Macs.

The previous comment stately that they only use Entourage to send email to Windows users. I'm not sure what they mean by that; Apple Mail can- of course- send email and attachments to anyone- Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I agree, I have been using entourage for a while and whilst i been using it i though it was great and still is. But the speed of it is annoying it takes longer to load up. It takes longer to open a email or delete a mail etc. I have now started using Mac Mail and it alot faster and is great really to be honest. Just going to wait for the version 2008 i think or see what Mail is like within Leopard as i find Mail very good and fast but a bit basic to my need but i am using it at the moment thou for speed wise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
The only real advantage to entourage is it's ability to integrate with Microsoft Exchange severs, otherwise it is an inferior e-mail client and like others have stated, slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I hate Entourage. I was forced to use it for a while. Then I figured out how to make mail talk to the exchange server. Mail is so much better. Entourage was cludgy...
To delete a message you have to give focus to the preview and hit delete. Or give focus to the message in the list and hit backspace. How dumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
I hate Entourage. I was forced to use it for a while. Then I figured out how to make mail talk to the exchange server. Mail is so much better. Entourage was cludgy...
To delete a message you have to give focus to the preview and hit delete. Or give focus to the message in the list and hit backspace. How dumb.

You can see LDAP directories in Mail? Grabbing POP or IMAP mail from an Exchange server is a bit different than being able to use calendars, public folders and active directory objects from an Exchange server. The later I will give Entourage, but it still sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I guess I'm in the minority because I really like Entourage. Maybe it's because I was used to using Outlook, but I gave Mail and the other apps an honest try and just didn't like it.

People say that it's slow, but other than initial startup, I don't notice any lag in anything like deleting messages like others have said. After it's open, it runs fine, and even opening isn't really all that bad, just a few seconds. Plus, I keep it open all the time, so I don't have to worry about it.

The thing I like best about it is that everything is in one app and connected: mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. When you consider that you have to open separate apps to look at mail, your calendar and your contacts, the small lag with opening Entourage really becomes moot.

Best of all is the Projects feature. I use this to integrate all my school information and activities/assignments/classes,teams and anything else. It really is a very nice organizational tool I wouldn't want to do without.

Bottom line is your really should try it for yourself. Check out the features and see what you think. See if the lag really is a big issue (not for me).

I'm confused by this. How do you delete a certain message in Mail if you don't click on the one you want to delete? How does Mail know which one you want to delete? You can select multiple messages to delete or choose to have messages of a certain age auto delete if that's what you were having problems with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.6GHZ, 8Gig iPhone, 160Gig iPod Classic, 16Gig 3G iPhone Black
personally i love entourage...maybee because im a primary PC user, and use outlook, but it seems that entourage has more features than mail

Reaction score
I do agree Entourage does have that extra power, but it got a bit of lag time in it. Like if I was deleting mails if i keep hitting delete button it will lag. But if i keep hitting delete in mail it does not lag it does it quickly that one example. The new version of Mail could well be more better but we will see. Also I am sure Entourage 2008 is going to be a great app and will def be better and faster since it going to be built for intel mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I used Entourage for awhile. It certainly has more features than Mail.app. All I use is my .mac account and don't need anything else really. Now that Leopard will integrate Mail.app with iCal, I want to stay away from the all-one program like Entourage.
Outlook is a great program, although Microsoft will not make a Mac version, which drives me crazy. I find the start page on Outlook very useful, for a quick look at appointments, emails, etc. I wish M$ would give Entourage that feature.:Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
The only real advantage to entourage is it's ability to integrate with Microsoft Exchange severs, otherwise it is an inferior e-mail client and like others have stated, slow.

In addition, Entourage has calender functions imbedded in it so there is no need to open up another program like iCal. That said, I use Mail because it's faster. Trade-offs suck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
I used Entourage for awhile. It certainly has more features than Mail.app. All I use is my .mac account and don't need anything else really. Now that Leopard will integrate Mail.app with iCal, I want to stay away from the all-one program like Entourage.
Outlook is a great program, although Microsoft will not make a Mac version, which drives me crazy. I find the start page on Outlook very useful, for a quick look at appointments, emails, etc. I wish M$ would give Entourage that feature.:Shouting:

Are you sure that Mail integrates iCal? I read that Mail includes a Notes and To Do function but not a calendar function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Check out the Leopard pages. For example, if a date appears in a email, for example, you can right click it, and add the date to iCal. The same as you add to your to-do-list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.