Remote connection

Reaction score
Can someone solve this for me

I am on a home network (iMac running Tiger), the home network features 2 other x86 PCs and connects to the internet through a hub/router.

I have a friend who wants to run a program (shell script) on my iMac from his PC (Windows XP) using PuTTY.

I presume ssh and tunelling would be involved, can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated ;D

Reaction score
the only thing I know you will have to do is turn remote login under sharing under system preferences on. This will allow other computers to access your mac with SSH. hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Be aware of what the shell script is.

If your friend writes shell scripts, I'd think they know how to setup ssh and firewall port forwarding.

SSH runs on port 22. You'd need to forward that port through your router to your iMac. Unless of course they're be using one of the existing PC's on your network.

They'll need your username and password to login, or a username and password of an account on your iMac with admin rights. IMO that's just not smart.

OP
M
Reaction score
My friend is a Windows only user, he does not know how shell scripts work.

I have already turned on remote login under sharing, but to no avail.

How do I forward port 22, or find out which ports are in use?

Reaction score
you have to login into your router and there is an area where you can forward port 22 from the internet to your imacs IP address. If you tell me what type of router you have I can help more.

OP
M
Reaction score
I Have a Micradigital 802.11g ADSL Modem with Wireless Router.

However the connection from my iMac to the router is Ethernet NOT Wireless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.