Parallels - Opening an application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I have parallels installed and running windows XP.

Is there any way to run an application i have on the XP Virtual Machine with out first having to load up parallels then windows then open the document?

Once before i had a document i wanted to open and i was able to select a program i had in parallels and that document opened up from parallels straight. Im just wondering how do i actually do this if i just want to open the application?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
You can put the icon in the dock (it will have the little Parallels symbol on it) and just click it when you want to open the app. It will take a while though since it still needs to load the VM.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do i put the icon in the dock though?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is posted elsewhere on this Forum...a lot of places. :sigh: OK, go to your Application folder, find your app you want to run. Drag and drop to your Dock. Done.

Its not in the applications folder because the program i want to run straight from the dock is a program installed inside a VM with parallels. ":sigh:"

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I found this tip, which might be more useful than my earlier exasperated sigh. ;) Parallels stores links to the windows applications in a folder called “Windows Applications” in your VM folder. How's about dragging the apps from THERE to the Dock?
Not sure of the exact folder path, maybe in Documents: Parallels:XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
When you open the app inside the VM, the icon will appear in the dock (with the little Parallels icon as part of the app icon). Ctrl click (or right click) and select keep in dock.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.