Programming language rated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
According to IT pros I have spoken to, Assembly is still by far the best programming language out there. But it has one major flaw... its too Hard to learn and do.... Honestly does anyone here know someone who actually does Assembly programming??? It should take like ages for someone to make a simple program.

Which is the best programming language to you guys???

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I noticed that alot of programmers use Java these days...
To be honest, haven't seen much of Java applications that run well. However there are a few exceptions... Limewire, azureus, etc....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
According to IT pros I have spoken to, Assembly is still by far the best programming language out there. But it has one major flaw... its too Hard to learn and do.... Honestly does anyone here know someone who actually does Assembly programming??? It should take like ages for someone to make a simple program.

Which is the best programming language to you guys???
It's a matter of "the right tool for the right job."

Assembly gives you a direct interface to the hardware. It can take advantage of unique features, and can be very efficient. However, it's extremely difficult to use and maintain. About the only things it's useful for are drivers and embedded systems (like the code that runs your microwave.)

Every other language has its uses too. Which one depends on what you plan to do. Writing a new operating system? You'll probably use straight C. Writing an ordinary desktop app? C++ or Objective-C. Web programming? Take your pick: PHP, Java, Ruby, C#, ColdFusion....
To be honest, haven't seen much of Java applications that run well. However there are a few exceptions... Limewire, azureus, etc....
Java is poorly suited to "normal" programs run on a desktop computer. (I know. I used to do that for a living.) It's been much more successful on servers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Python with the right modules of course (NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib). :)

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Java is poorly suited to "normal" programs run on a desktop computer. (I know. I used to do that for a living.) It's been much more successful on servers.

You used to program in Java for a living???
The crazy thing is that I have two friends of mine who are completely divided on the issue of Java... One completely hates Java and the other says its the best language out there...
Me.. I'm not too sure about Java though... O:)

I'm more inclined to learn Applescript and C++. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I want something that I can use with both Linux and Mac OS.

I voted for C++, and you can run those in Windows.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want something that I can use with both Linux and Mac OS.

I voted for C++, and you can run those in Windows.

C++ wold be my language of choice for both Linux and Mac OS...

Java is a good one to use but not as robust as a C coded program... Its just good for the web development sector... but even there, more better languages are available...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

You'd have to define "run well," as that is an entiurely subjective statement. I've seen arcade games and 3rd person shooters written in Java, most (if not all) Java IDEs are written in Java, they all "run well." My experimental RPG runs very well indeed, and I seem to remember reading that Star Wars:Galaxies is written in Java.

The "best" language is the one that best suits the task at hand, but there isn't a poll option for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.