HD Apple Tv?

Reaction score
Will apple tv ever upgrade to hd? Apple tv would be a no brainer for me if it ever played hd content. Does anyone believe it will ever happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Apple TV does play HD content. I think you're thinking of the iTunes store that doesn't sell HD content as of yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. Upto 720p 5Mbps... (though data spikes can go upto 15mbps)

OP
J
Reaction score
i guess i should have looked into it before i asked a silly question. i just assumed it couldn't play HD because itunes didn't sell it.

Reaction score
Can I watch Apple TV content that is listed in i Tunes -which means that the content is in HDD of PC(Win) or Mac, right?- on ED or HDTV hooked up with Apple TV. Then why does Apple TV have its own HDD like 40GB for $299 and 160GB for $399? All of the content is stored on the HDD. and i Tunes is on the same HDD; are they making back ups for all content on Apple TV? or I can actually use more expanded 160GB space to store for more movies and musics? Someone who knows about this, please answer my question. Why does Apple TV have HDD in there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The AppleTV has a hard drive to allow you to sync it with your iTunes library. This allows for local playback instead of streaming, which is good because wireless networks can be flaky sometimes. You wouldn't want the connection to be intermittent when watching a movie or TV show, that's just frustrating.

It can still stream videos that are not on its hard drive, but you can manually set what gets stored locally. For instance, you just got a new TV show. You can store the entire season on the AppleTV because there is a good likelihood that you'll be watching it in the near future as opposed to TV shows you've already seen. And once you're done watching, you can clear it out to make room for other stuff. But again, you will still have the option to stream those episodes.

OP
J
Reaction score
can the new tivo be used like an apple tv? the tivo website states you can listen to the music from your macs mp3 library (i assume they mean your itunes). has anyone used a tivo this way?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.