CD stuck in drive

Reaction score
I have a PowerBook G4 which I've now replaced with a Macbook Pro as I have a CD stuck in the PowerBook drive.

I'd like to start using the Powerbook again but I can't find any way of getting the CD out. When I boot the Mac, I get an awful grinding sound where the Mac tries on several attempts to spit the CD out without success.

I don't care if the CD superdrive doesn't work, I just want to get the CD out. There's no emergeny eject button anywhere which seems to be a bit of an oversight when it was designed.

Help! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
First try booting while holding down the mouse button. That is an eject command.

Second, even slot load drives have an emergency button. They are hard to find. Usually they are on the right, behind the pubes or foam, whichever your has. Just look for a small button in the slot around there somewhere. You'll need a straighened paper clip to push the button.

But if the mac tries to eject it and can't, I don't think that button will do you much good. It's a soft button. So if the machinism is broken, you'll have to take it apart to get the disc out.

Easier would be to unplug the power and data cables and leave the cd in there.

Reaction score
needs to be open theres gears must of slip off line thats why its making that noise..if the emergecy dont work

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. Tried rebooting with the mouse button down... same grinding noise.

Can't seem to find an eject button through the sponge... and if I have accidentally stumbled across it, it doesn't seem to have done anything.

Guess the option of disconnecting it seems the best.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Sorry Steve. My PB has the same issues, though the CD always came out eventually.

I 100% hate slot load drives. Nothing but trouble in my experience. Tray loading is the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.