Have i messed up my mac?

Reaction score
Hiya. I got a mac today and i think i messed it up... When i first turned it on it said about the internet. I went on something like i'm not going to use the internet (because my mac was upstaris and my modem was downstairs and i wanted to set it up later). Can i reset it? I've tired to install my modem but now it wont work!! I'm using my old pc to get on the internet now, will i ever be able to get my mac on the internet or have i ruined it? ^_^

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hiya. I got a mac today and i think i messed it up... When i first turned it on it said about the internet. I went on something like i'm not going to use the internet (because my mac was upstaris and my modem was downstairs and i wanted to set it up later). Can i reset it? I've tired to install my modem but now it wont work!! I'm using my old pc to get on the internet now, will i ever be able to get my mac on the internet or have i ruined it? ^_^

First off, connect the modem to your Mac with an Ethernet cable. Do not use the USB connection.

Then, unplug the power to the modem and plug it back in - wait about 30 seconds. Restart the Mac. When the Mac starts back up, you should be able to open Safari and use the Internet.

If you want to run through the Internet Connect Wizard, you can open that application from the Applications => Utilities folder.

OP
F
Reaction score
First off, connect the modem to your Mac with an Ethernet cable. Do not use the USB connection.

Then, unplug the power to the modem and plug it back in - wait about 30 seconds. Restart the Mac. When the Mac starts back up, you should be able to open Safari and use the Internet.

If you want to run through the Internet Connect Wizard, you can open that application from the Applications => Utilities folder.

Sorry to sound stupid but whats a ethernet cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Cable with connectors on each end that look like telephone plugs.

What kind of modem do you have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.