• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Wish for a Special Child....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
As of this moment...

I have received full payment through PayPal from the following people:
Skye: $10
Cherokee: $40
babarnette: $20
cheesybanana: $30

Others are also sending through the Mail.... I will post them as received.... when they are.... well... received ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
The program thread is here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=498112#post498112

I want to keep direct discussions of the software in a separate thread, and a discussion area appropriate to the topic - software development.

The program is a Python command line program. I have included extensive comments in the code, and have included instructions on how to run it. The program assumes that Python is installed on your Mac running OS X 10.4.10. I think Python is installed in the normal OS X system, and does not require the use of Xcode. If it does, then I'll recommend that if we go this route, we use the latest version of Python for the Mac, a free download that works very nicely. I simply want people to get uniform results.

This should be easy for anyone to run. I would especially like any programmer types to scrutinize the code for anything untoward. It's plain text code, so anyone - and everyone - can read it.

This is NOT the final version of the code. Once the list of people for the drawing is finalized, and once everyone is comfortable with the use of this code, I'll do a final release for everyone.

The day before the drawing, someone - I don't care who - will chose the stock group or individual stock whose closing number on the next business day we'll use as a random number seed. That way no one can game the system - namely me, the programmer - and everyone sees the same results.

If we can make this process work easily, great! If it becomes difficult, then we should make other arrangements for choosing the winners.

Hope people have fun with this!

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
This raffle was created for one sole purpose and that was to give a gift to a very deserving little boy...

Well something amaizing has happend, A mac forums member who remains to stay anonoymus has sent me an amaizing PM...

He wants to donate his xbox 360 with many accessories, games etc.. ALOT of things... John would have so much XBOX gear he wouldent know what to do with!

All he asks is the shipping to be taken care of, which I see as no problem...

Now I know many of you have donated $$ that you dont even have to help... Alot of you did it not even wanting the IPOD but you did it for this special kid...

I need input from the raffle members on what should we do here...

If you want to save your money, we can receive this great donation and still share in something you all had such a big part in.... I was donating my IPOD for Johns sake so it really didnt matter to me... and I in no means want this person to send me all this for free and still have 420.00 of everyones money that wouldent be right and I cant do that, some of you are college students giving money you dont have... so I ask all of the people who have donated what should we do?

As for the shipping I could probably cover it.... as for the IPOD I would be willing to give it to john as a giant super dream gift included with the XBOX... but again I ask all of you my friends... what should we do about the raffle...

Im speechless... to that person who is donating that huge gift, thank you from the bottom of our hearts... and as for all of the people here who helped so much, you have a special place in my heart always!!

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
RIDE, I just sent you the money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was a most generous gift. Amazing.

Well, I just put my check in the mail to RIDE, so if we're on, I'm in. If we're not, then he can return my check, or I'll fly out there to retrieve it. (Hmmm... cost of ticket, value of check, ... ^_^)

I see a couple reasonable options: keep the raffle, or end the raffle.

KEEP THE RAFFLE. We keep the raffle, and folks who wish to still participate do so. Those who do not may bow out with grace. The goal was to get John an XBox, and that's what we all worked to do. An angel came by and donated one. Some urgency is now gone.

Proceeds from the raffle could go toward other games and peripherals as desired. If we keep the raffle, then the prizes might be based on how many people remain in the raffle.

END THE RAFFLE. This is an amazing collection of people. You give John the iPod touch, cover the shipping of the XBox, and keep the Apple Store credit for when Leopard is released. RIDE returns the money collected from the members (or we descend upon him on Halloween O:) ).

A great thing happened here over the past days, and especially in this wonderful donation. In the words of someone from my past,

Keep up the good work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Wow, this is amazing! :) John is going to be so happy! So many great people on this forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
wow, just friggin awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Is there anything else the money could go towards? Anything at all that you could think of? A college trust fund would be amazing, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be to set up. Some states have funds set up that we might be able to put into with minimal set-up.

Just an idea. There has to be SOMETHING to put the money towards...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
That's so kind of the anonymous one. It does leave the rest of us at loose ends. Options other than disassembling the raffle could get complicated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Thats great news about the donation. I'm up for what ever the rest of you decide. If he needs a computer maybe we could sell more tickets and get him a mini or something. Just let me know what we are gonna do.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to coordinate with macjuicy23 and RIDE to decide what to do. We do need a decision on how to proceed. Personally I'm going for a resolution this morning. (It's 7:30AM here.)

M

MacHeadCase

Is there anything else the money could go towards? Anything at all that you could think of? A college trust fund would be amazing, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be to set up. Some states have funds set up that we might be able to put into with minimal set-up.

Just an idea. There has to be SOMETHING to put the money towards...

You know John more than we do. Like cheesy says, is there anything the money could get him that he'd enjoy on top of having his dream Xbox? You alone can tell us what is best.

Or like babarnette suggested, a Mac Mini? An iPhone? His very own iPod Touch? Or something like that?

If there are a few bucks missing, maybe we could let the raffle continue till that amount is reached...

It's your call macjuicy. We await your decision. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
WOW!!!! Great news this morning....

I'm super busy at this moment... sorry for not being able to comment.

As of this moment...

I have received full payment through PayPal from the following people:
Skye: $10
Cherokee: $40
babarnette: $20
cheesybanana: $30
Netty4Mac: $10
Nokialed: $10

Reaction score
Not to take away from the donor's generosity, but what if there are warranty issues? You don't want to give him an expensive gift that could be useless if something were to happen to it. Let's face it, being a Microsoft product, it very well could happen. :Smirk:

Maybe the donor would be willing to donate just the extras. That way we could get John a brand new XBox with the money we have raised. He gets the protection of the factory warranty and he gets the pleasure of breaking the seal on the packaging.

The raffle could continue as planned. There aren't any further issues to solve.

Just an idea... Whatever you decide is fine with me.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im going to talk with Mathogre and RIDE this morning....

we will be posting soon... I am speechless by the kind of people I have met on here... you are all amaizing!

God bless

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Myself, Mathogre and RIDE have been discussing the raffle situation and we have come up with a solution....
Even though we are receiving this incredible donation from this member, we feel the raffle should go on. You have all been such a major factor in making this happen that I feel this person would of never made this donation if this thread would of never been started and been so positive.
The prize will still be the IPOD Touch, but the 420.00 will now be used for the following:

1. Paying the shipping costs on the Xbox gear being Sent
2. We will buy John his Own IPOD Touch that he could use whenever he goes to the hospital or just wants to hear some tunes.

Every Penny of it will be used for John.... Period any Money left over will be Donated to The American Cancer Fund in the Name of MAC-Forums...

Since the use of the Money has changed, if there is anyone who would like to back out of the Raffle can do so without feeling bad at all.... The great thing about all of this is that we will now be giving him an even bigger gift which is amaizing!!!!
They will be sending me the Xbox and accessories by next week, I will not be presenting John with anything until I purchase the IPOD Touch with the money collected.

I want you all to know that you have all been incredible through all of this and I'm proud to be part of these boards... You should all pat yourselves on the back and feel proud for what you have accomplished...
Even though the person donating wishes to remain anonymous I would like to thank you for making this bigger and better than we could of ever expected....

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, (I have a lump in my throat, and a tear in my eye typing this...) with all the bad things happening in this world its nice we can do this........ God Bless you all.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sending $25 to ride in the mail because paypal decided it was go to make things difficult on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So we're on. Yay!!!! Here's the status.

The drawing is still for the iPod touch and the Store Credit of $33.48. Nothing changes here.

I think we still have 4 tickets remaining, so now's your chance.

We also have the raffle software to be scrutinized, tested, et al.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=498112#post498112

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.