• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Wish for a Special Child....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thank you Ryan13!!!!!!

Methogre. Lol!!!!!

Psst. Hey. Yeah you. Wanna buy an equation? Ah, it's okay. It's just a polynomial, but uh, I got some diffies if you want. Oh, these are good. Makes you see donuts and coffee cups as the same thing, but you gotta be really careful with these. If you take too many, you'll turn into a topologist.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
i cant wait until the raffle!
The doctor said I may be able to take john to Disney that weekend, so hes going to have a dream day!

Awesome we got mail!! to RIDE

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great News The Donor of the Xbox sent me tracking #s Johns XBOX is on the way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Psst. Hey. Yeah you. Wanna buy an equation? Ah, it's okay. It's just a polynomial, but uh, I got some diffies if you want. Oh, these are good. Makes you see donuts and coffee cups as the same thing, but you gotta be really careful with these. If you take too many, you'll turn into a topologist.

Ha!

I just laughed so hard :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
***It was really cool getting the mail today... A cool card from Math, I realized why rman goes by rman.... and the best part was when my wife sent me a text message asking "Ummmm, who is 'iKitten' and why is she sending you a letter :D" lol

More importantly why is she sending you money? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
LOL ~ I so totally didn't think of what that might look like!!! :D

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is an UPDATE on the John Wish Day.......

Well I went to EB Games and Purchased 3 used games for Johns XBOX (I got a great deal), I also have a friend of mine who said he would give him his Guitar Hero 2 game with the guitar which is REALLY cool, I think he has a treasure trove awaiting him.... I'm just really excited that we accomplished so much, and I cant wait for the raffle day!

And to make everything even better, His doctor says he is doing fantastic his treatment is working and he definitely sees him beginning school on the next school year which has him pumped.... Looks like hes almost out of the woods....

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's great macjuicy. So when is the big day for his surprise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should we make him a card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A reminder, we're having the raffle in a week.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=498493&postcount=162

At the moment I believe we still have ONE REMAINING TICKET. Yes, this is all about helping a kid, but you know, the Grand Prize is an iPod touch. ^_^ A week ago I looked at one at the Apple Store, and also played with one of the new nanos. The iPod touch is Officially Very Nice. (Actually, the nanos are pretty nice too.)

Now for some business.

I'm still doing the drawing. Please feel free to go to the software thread and play with the code. Yes, it's command line s/w, but it's really simple and - hopefully - readable. Instructions are there for all to read, along with some additional instructions from RIDE. If you don't follow something, feel free to ask!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79394

To further simplify things, I've said in the past that the random number seed would be chosen on the morning of the drawing. Given we've had the date for awhile, the seed will be the Apple closing stock price for October 19, 2007. It can be viewed on the iPhone or on web sites 20 or so minutes after the close of the stock exchange. The stock code for Apple is AAPL.

If you're not deep into geekdom or random number generators, computers typically use pseudo random number generators for various things, functions that generate numbers that appear random. Because they're not truly random, they are "seeded" with something, often computer system time. You can let the computer use whatever it will for a seed, or you can specify a seed. If you run a program with a fixed random number seed, you will typically get the same results every time. Change the seed and get different results.

For this raffle, we'll seed it with something that no one can know in advance. In this case, it's the Apple closing stock price on the day of the raffle. From that, winners will be chosen. A one penny difference can result in a completely different set of winners.

For purposes of verification, the stock price will be considered valid only if there is a match between the price shown on the iPhone and on the Charles Schwab website. A mismatch of even one penny is enough to consider the random seed invalid as a one penny change can greatly change the random number results. If there's a mismatch between what the iPhone shows and what Schwab reports well after the market closes, we'll deal with it appropriately at that time.

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab...d=P-1043769&lvl1=non_navigable&lvl2=marketing (enter AAPL)
http://www.schwab.com/

At the moment (around 1:30AM, Oct. 12 on the US east coast), the iPhone shows a closing price for the 11th of $162.23, as does the Charles Schwab web site. (Google, GOOG, shows a price of $622.00 from both sources. ?!!!!!!!!) Schwab, according to their website, handles $1.4 trillion in client assets (~10% of the annual US GNP) as of Aug. 2007. They're probably a reliable verification site. Funny, they're in San Francisco, not far from Cupertino.

DISCLOSURE: I am in the drawing for 4 tickets. It's no secret. I want everyone to have a completely fair chance to win, including me. I don't need an iPod touch. I have a 1st gen 512M shuffle, a 2nd gen 2G nano, and a 4G iPhone. Still, I'd like to win. The drawing is set up to be fair to all. Anyone with one ticket has a chance to win either prize. Anyone with two or more tickets has a chance to win both prizes. My interest is in helping John. I know what it's like having a kid who might not be around the next day. Kid, cousin, spouse, doesn't much matter. I like the idea of putting a smile on a kid's face when it's hard to find a reason to smile. SO - play with the software, scrutinize the procedure, and if you see anything that doesn't look right or fair, post it or PM macjuicy23, RIDE, or me.

Now let's see that last ticket go, and GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 bucks and pay it to ride (see further back in this thread for details).

Since all the tickets have been sold, how about we hold the raffle as soon as Ride has all the moolah?

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 bucks and pay it to ride (see further back in this thread for details).

Since all the tickets have been sold, how about we hold the raffle as soon as Ride has all the moolah?

Lets stick to the raffle date, i dont think RIDE has yet to collect most of the Money... he is receiving alot of the Money Via Snail Mail so lets see how it goes.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's great macjuicy. So when is the big day for his surprise?

Saturday 20th I cant wait we have a little party set up here as a surprise... Im making it like a birthday party (but of course not his bday LOL)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi!

I've set up a dry run to test both the drawing procedure and software. It can be found here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=504161#post504161

The drawing is this coming Friday, and I want to ensure everything goes well with it. Please try it and see if it works as expected. If it does, then we're fine! If not, then we have time to resolve it before Friday.

Thanks!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
know that it isn't a big deal, but why was this unstickied?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.