help

Reaction score
my imac desktop froze and when i restart it I only get half of the startup chime and then it goes to a grey screen. I've even tried to reinstall and it wont let me. im running osx on an intel based imac. And I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to open this thread.Any help would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Welcome! You might like to check the intel iMac forums at Apple. There are a lot of people in the same boat. Some think it is software related, and others think it is a hardware problem. I am on my second new iMac and am leaning toward hardware as the culprit.

A lot of people suggest booting in safe mode to see if the problems persist. Hold the shift key down immediately after hearing the startup chime. Hold it down till the boot up wheel thingie appears on the screen. When you get to the logon screen you should see "safe mode" in red. If the 1.1 iMac update is the problem, you should not experience your symptoms in safe mode.

Best of luck...

OP
G
Reaction score
im not even getting the start up chime, but ty i will check the other forum

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.