iPhoto Library

Reaction score
In iPhoto I've noticed that all the pictures are kept in a library and if you want to view them outside of the application you have to right click and select "show contents" or something like that. here are my questions:

1. Is there an alternate way of viewing the actual files?

2. If i'm composing an email with the mail app and I want to attach a picture, when browsing for the picture the iPhoto library is greyed out. Is there a way to access the picture files without having to go into iPhoto and emailing it from there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Quicksilver. But it might be a bit difficult to get fluid with how quicksilver works. But iPhoto or not, you got to use quicksilver...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Stay out of the finder! The file is done the way it is so that users will NOT go into the finder and muck about with their photos and corrupt them. Do whatever you want to do from within the app itself! If you want to view a picture, go into iPhoto -- get them organized in there, and you will find what you want quickly.

Compose your email from within the app as well. There is a little button just for that. If you don't want to email that way (or upload to Facebook, or something), use the export function and export to your desktop and email or upload from there.

Just stay out of the finder! You WILL, not may, but WILL, corrupt photos, lose photos, etc.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for a different answer. I already know how to email from within iPhoto but my question was if in the process of typing a long email or whatever I then need to attach a photo how could I access the photos in the library. I would then have to go into iPhoto and send the photo then go back into the email I was previously typing and copy the text to the new email. Seems like there should be a more efficient method than this. Of course this only applies to emails that I'm replying to or have already composed within the mail app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
If you wait for Leopard, Mail will feature the Media browser, so you can access them right from within Mail.

As an alternative, you can also download some of the third party media browsers, small apps which show you photos, videos and music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for a different answer. I already know how to email from within iPhoto but my question was if in the process of typing a long email or whatever I then need to attach a photo how could I access the photos in the library. I would then have to go into iPhoto and send the photo then go back into the email I was previously typing and copy the text to the new email. Seems like there should be a more efficient method than this. Of course this only applies to emails that I'm replying to or have already composed within the mail app.

Well, in that event, you would not have to copy the text into a new message. For example, so you are typing a message, decide you want a photo in it. Stop typing, go to iPhoto, export your desired photo to the desktop, go back to your message, and click insert the photo into that same message. Seems the same to me as typing a message, going into the library and selecting a photo. Different steps, but same result.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.